Menu
NickOnline
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

1gig broadband slower than previous 500

hi, just upgraded to vm 1gig and most the time its worse than my previous package @ 500mbps.

it seems between the hours of 10am and 11pm down is between 80 and 350 and up is between 10 and 50+. I run the tests when family members start moaning that the xbox (cat6) is laging, youtube is laging and spinning etc....  i run the tests when their devices are off using my pc and cat 5e and tried cat6 cable.

However after 11pm and sometimes during the day there is no issues everyone is streaming and when i do a test then the full bandwidth is available.  i then avg between 700 and 930 down and 55+ up. which im happy with 

but why isn't like this all the time ? i never had any lagging on any devices with my 500mbps package.

please see 2 speedtests below and my info. does the info look ok ? 

basically things are ok b4 10am and after 11pm at night but during the day its bad.

thanks

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 16.14.30.jpgScreenshot 2020-05-23 at 16.12.24.jpg

routerStatus.jpgdownBondChan.jpgconfig.jpgUpstream.jpgstat1.jpg

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1gig broadband slower than previous 500

Are you on a Hub4?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
NickOnline
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hi, 

yes the new hub 4.  wifi is good full signal around house and again iPads in bedrooms no issues first couple of days 

then this daily slow down between 10 am and 11pm on all devices wireless or wired.

I have run the Sams speed test when its just been me on the network (wired) n its just slow.

I use Citrix for work n never had issues and even that drops some times when daughter is on YouTube 

which it never did on hub 3 @ 500mbps

sams test @ 11.43pm

its bit faster

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 23.43.56.jpg

thanks

0 Kudos
NickOnline
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

hi, jsut to show speed tests after midnight.

i know we cant always reply on speedtests, but these are always done with jsut me on network using cat6.

below tests were done at 00:15 best of a couple done.

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 00.14.27.pngScreenshot 2020-05-24 at 00.15.31.png

thanks

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hub stats look to be broadly OK, although I haven't seen the stats from a Hub 4 before so I might be wrong.  There is one downstream channel with a power level getting very close to the -6 recommended minimum which might be significant.

However, slow speeds at peak times (since lockdown this is typically 7am -11pm or midnight on weekdays and all weekend) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days to check your connection and will be able confirm if the hub levels are OK or if there is a known issue with your segment of the network.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Surely were not seeing contention issues on DOCSIS3.1 already??? 

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos