Menu
michaelsnow1985
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1gig Hub4 Ethernet Speed

Engineer came today to install my hub 4 router. His speed tests shown a stead 1080-1090 speed.

I have set the router to modem mode and used a bunch of different cables and can't get a speed above 190mb.

I used 4 different Cat 5e Ethernet Cables between router and modem

I am currently using a Cat 6a Crossover path cable between router and modem.

I have a nighthawk X6 Smart R8000.

Previously I had my Hub 3 plugged into the router with one of the Cat 5e cables and was getting the full 300mb on the 300mb package. 

I'm tearing my hair out a little bit here and would love some suggestions. 

0 Kudos
archercj
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1gig Hub4 Ethernet Speed

How are you testing the speed. I have a similar configuration to yours. When the Hub 4 is in normal mode I think SamKnows is used. That functionality disappears when set to modem mode.

Ensure the device you are using to test is hard ethernet wired to your Nighthawk i.e. not wifi connected and use something like proof.ovh.net or thinkbroadband to conduct your speed test. Some of the other speed tests are only reliable on slower connections.

Not saying you dont have an issue but that will help as starters

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi michaelsnow1985,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your Hub 4. 

Have you been able to try the suggestions by archercj?

^Martin

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Test with a PC to the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
conman33158
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@michaelsnow1985 wrote:

I am currently using a Cat 6a Crossover path cable between router and modem.

Use a straight through cable not a cross over cable. Also put the Hub in modem mode and connect the router to Ethernet port 4 as another user on here has the same problem with the same router using port 1, plus turn off QoS or Game mode running in the router if it has them and toggling hardware acceleration enable/disable if it has that also 🙂

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
michaelsnow1985
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So I was originally testing with a laptop hard wired to the router, the laptop is about 3-4 years old. 

I was also testing with my upstairs PC which is plugged into a Nighthawk extended. Strangely on 300mb internet i had the full 300mb speed via wifi however when i upgraded it went down to 100 which is really strange. I turned off all additional features of the Night hawk and managed to get up to 400mb over wifi but it was quite unreliable.

I have managed to fix it by running a brand new Cat 6 cable through the exterior wall of my office, along the back of the house and into the dining room where i keep my router. Wired this way I am getting the full speed. 

I'm not sure why the Nighthawk is worse with a faster internet but It is something i'll take up with Netgear.

thank you all for your comments

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the update @Michealsnow1985.

We are glad to hear the issue was resolved.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@michaelsnow1985 wrote:

<snip>  I have managed to fix it by running a brand new Cat 6 cable through the exterior wall of my office, along the back of the house and into the dining room where i keep my router. Wired this way I am getting the full speed. <snip>

Is your Hub in the Office and the Nighthawk in the Dining Room? That's maybe why the performance over wifi was so poor?

0 Kudos