i'm writing this after spending days on useless whatsapp chats with VM contact centre and having one engineer visit who told me there's nothing he can do as there's no real 1gbps connection and VM keeps marketing it as if it's possible. I am still hoping there are some VM employees out there who have a logical way of thinking and who still cares about customers. Here's the issue :
- I have recently upgraded to 1gbps with Hub 4
- Previously i had 500mbps with Hub3 and had similar performance issues which was fixed eventually by a senior engineer (until then i was told many times that wifi test results can never get to 500mbps due to various interferences) - as i recall he changed channel configurations on the hub but i can't recall what exactly.
- I have a degree in Computer Science so although I won't call myself a techie, i know it's unrealistic to expect the same speed consistently so my expectation here is not 1gbps but something close to it - at the moment despite multiple tests, i see 550Mbps max at Samknows - the incoming speed to router is shown as 1147mbps - so this seems to be an issue with the devices
- The engineer who visited me today told me with 1gbps bb service, it's not possible to get more than 500-550mbps on a device but instead 1gbps is the total added speed i'll get across all devices (which is b.s in my opinion but anyways, i didn't try to convince him)
- With my previous 500mbps connection, when i do a Ookla test on my Iphone 13 pro over wi-fi after a hard reset of iphone; i could see easily 400-450mbps ranges - this is over wi-fi , me standing next to Hub
-When i do the same with Hub4 now, i see 500-550mbps maximum.
- i don't have an ethernet port in my laptop so can't do an ethernet test - i didn't have it before either but could have reasonable speed test results with my iphone 13 pro over wifi
So where do i go from here ? what do i need to check ? is 1gbps really the sum of all the speeds delivered to each connected device as the engineer told me ? i feel like i need a senior engineer visit to sort out the issue but this is impossible to arrange over VM contact centre so i am hoping this post can help.