Menu
adamace
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

1gb broadband

Hi I was hoping I could get some help,I was on the m500 broadband and I've upgraded to the 1gb and hub 4, before setting up the hub 4 I did a speed test on the superhub 3 and getting exactly what I should be, I set up the hub 4 on the 1gb connection and now I can't get above a pathetic 45mbps, I've tried everything I can think of, I've changed cables and done a 60 second pin hole reset and it's still the same,it was only setup a few hours ago, does it take a while for the 1gb connection to come though, its very disappointing when you upgrade and end up getting something 10 times worse than when I started, I've also tried the same knows best speed test and all it says is the device is offline when it clearly isnt

0 Kudos
spudhead
Tuning in
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1gb broadband

Upgraded to 1gig - what a waste of time
29 minutes ago

Was happily on 500mb service for years without issue. Took the upgrade to 1gig. New Hub4 arrived and plugged in.

Speed test now 148Mps. On old 500mb circuit with Hub 3 (same laptop, same cat6 cable) I'd consistently get the max limit on 500.

The fact im using the same equipment must mean the hub v4 or the 1gig circuit has issues.

I cannot used SamKnows RealSpeed as it says the 'device is offline'.The Hub4 is in Router Mode and I the only device connected via Cat6 cable.

Forum seems full of issues with 1gig/hub4 at the moment.

Do I simply roll back to 500mb service as i am in the cooling off period, or does anyone have a resolution to this.
0 Kudos
adamace
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Well that was helpful, thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Try a pinhole reset as per below that often sorts it. Then test speeds as per below too

Disconnect any ethernet cables from the Hub (leave the coax connected), and then with the Hub still "switched on" throughout, press pin in firmly with paper clip/SIM tray tool or similar "thin thing" and hold it firmly for at least 60 seconds, release the pin, leave for 5’ to stabilise - dont manually switch it off at any time. Passwords will reset to those on the sticker. See if that sorts it.
_____________________________-

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
theboywonder
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hey @adamace, as you can see from my post (quoted above) I have exact same issue. I suspect the Hub4 has a firmware issue. If I get it resolved I will let you know! Thanks
adamace
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I would be most greatful if you would let me cheers, as I've got up this morning hoping it might have fixed itself overnight, but sadly its still the same, spoke to virgin who where hopeless if I'm honest, she tried to tell me they working on the cables that's why I'm only getting 40mbps on a 1gb connection,I said how can that be when I did a speed test on my superhub 3 an hour before setting up the hub 4 and it was all fine, the minute the hub 4 went on its ruined the connection, I really wish I hadn't bothered and think I'm gonna cancel as I'm still in the 14 day cooling period 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Post your power levels and network log from the Hub 4.   Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

In the meantime try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 for small local faults as these are not listed on the VM status page.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
adamace
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone have a fix for this, it's still the same it just won't go above 45mbps on a wired 1gb connection,I can only assume the hub 4 they sent out is faulty as everything was fine before the hub 4 was powered up, also the virgin wifi pod won't connect either just a constant flashing light, I didn't even get a cat 6 cable with the new hub 4 there was no cable in the box, on the old m500 connection I could get over 200mb on WiFi but now I'm getting the same 45mbps on WiFi and wired, managed to get an engineer out for Wednesday so I'm hoping he gonna change the hub, 

0 Kudos
theboywonder
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I went through tech support today and was told to 'give it 24 hours'.  11hrs later it still isn't at speed. Virgin may be able to get 1gig to the router (SamKnows Realspeed wont load for me so I will never know for sure) but the Hub 4 has issues with firmware I recon.

0 Kudos
adamace
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Seems we have the same issue but I to have spoken to tech support with such conflicting advice,I was told the same about the 24 hours then told by another person from virgin that once they put the connection through it is instant,I was also told the WiFi pod they sent only works with 1 router then told it works with any virgin router, I'm at the stage now if it's not fixed by Wednesday I'm cancelling as this is very poor service in anyone's book as far I'm concerned,I was also told they where going to make the engineer a high priority and expect a text within 4 hours, I never got nothing, it's been 3 days tomorrow and mines still exactly the same wifi and wired won't go above 43mbps, and yesterday all I was getting was 17mbps on a 1gb wired connection,I have 3 kids all gamers agreed 22 20 and 16 and they are driving me crazy as non of them can play with toys connection 

0 Kudos