cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb broadband problem

KieTyl
On our wavelength

Been on the 1gb broadband for a couple of months and yet to see it even hit the minimum of 500mb.

Have 2 PCs on CAT6 cables directly off the hub4 and in the 1st week was measuring 700mps. But ever since they measure 70mps. Occasionally they will read up to 400mps.

But the Virgin terms say that it is guaranteed at 500 or money back?

Using testing sites like fast.com.

10 REPLIES 10

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What does the reccomended sam knows website say?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @KieTyl

Thank you so much for your post and I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened with your wired speeds! 

From your account I can see that there appear to be a few issues on the Hub specs, for this reason I think it would be best to get an engineer out to look over your equipment.

I'm going to send you a PM now so we can sort this, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you.

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @KieTyl,

Just checking in with you to see how service has been of late? Has service improved or is the issue still ongoing?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

KieTyl
On our wavelength

Hi,

had 2 visits from engineers in the past week which resulted in them replacing the router as the signals/readings were ok right up to that point then poor after it.

Seems stable now and not encountering any major issues. Using SamKnows to check it.

Thank you for keeping us updated KieTyl. 

I'm glad to hear this is sorted for you now.

^Martin

Omen_Data_Syste
On our wavelength

What can you possibly use 500mbps sustained transfer for dude?

My old company had a 100mbps link for 50 staff and you complain about not getting 500mbps why are you running a torrent server or Amazon lol

Even if you had a big family with 10 people running 4k streams uhd tv you would only need 250mbps???

Perhaps explain why you need 500mbps instead of complaining about a quick run of speedtest.net so they can understand why exactly you need 500mbps and are not just complaining for the sake of it?

Omen_Data_Syste
On our wavelength

I suspect you are not talking about 1gb broadband dude but interswitch transfer - you do know that ethernet has a 70% max transfer rate even if you bump it up to 9k packet size on cheap switches - you wont get anything more than what you are getting unless you invest in a high end cut through Cisco switch you can manage so expecting a free gig inbuilt switch to provide more than stock rate is silly.

Besides it is also down to your motherboard and the pci bus transfer max and what else you have plugged into it - cheap boards like Asrock or an expensive one it all makes a difference even if you cable both network c ards together using a crossover cable you will not get 1gbps - read up before you complain dude you are expecting the impossible!

completely wrong end of the stick so not sure what you are jumping about.

There was an actual problem with the cables to the house that resulted in the cable across the drive and the cable down the road to the junction box getting replaced.

The Virgin engineer told me that there was still a problem with high Rx and packet loss and they replaced the router as the only thing left.

The speed was a contract thing - they guarantee minimum 500gb or you can complain to the ombudsman, and we were never getting that speed prior to the cable getting replaced. But we were suffering a lot of interruptions and packet loss too.

Fair does but you still havent explained why you need 500mb - nobody i know uses that speed so unless you really need it why complain?

Its another example of opening your mouith to complain for the sake of it!