Menu
thisisnathaniel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

1gb Line upgrade - promises of fixes months down the line

I think, Possibly - when my virgin media runs out I will be switching provider now.

HUB 4

WIRED CONNECTION

CONSOLE and VIRGIN BOX 15inches from the ROUTER and all WIRED IN.

I have had enough,

During covid I phoned up to complain about the latency issues I am constantly receiving.  The guy on the phone gave me the date of 15th March it should be fixed (due to stress on the network from covid some transfer was underway), on the same phone call as upgrading me to the 1gb line for extra money, I dont mind paying the extra I am a vivid gamer so the best internet possible is the best option for me.

So I left it till the 20th and phoned back. Was told on this call the engineer was due out and will be a few days.

Now when I try doing tests online or over the phone it reports no problems anymore. BUT NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

I was trying to watch the football last night, gave up after 20mins of it cutting in and out.

Its not good enough that I pay over £100 a month for the total package and this internet with multi rooms and its not USEABLE. 

So here I find myself, about to face another weekend of endless frustration because Virgin make empty promises and never resolve anything.

it needs fixing

Tags (2)
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1gb Line upgrade - promises of fixes months down the line

never believe fix dates they have a habit of moving 

if you had problems with a lower speed package why did you think increasing the speed would solve the problem - it does not work like that

if your bad connection is all for gaming then again faster speeds will not help - a better connection might so lets look at the connection

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

on hub4 you need to log in to see levels

Tony
0 Kudos
thisisnathaniel
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just to clarify, I did not upgrade thinking this would fix my issues, I am also pretty sure i never said that anywhere in my previous post.

I said I phoned up to complain, was told a date that we have now passed - so upon believing what the technical engineer said of the date being fixed I upgraded my package to be using those speeds when its fixed.

I think you also missed the section where I said, that - I was told there was a network transfer happening as the local area network could not cope with the amount of new users from virgin during the pandemic.

I do not know why you have approached a response as in if I am missing something or I have not tried everything I am able (ex virgin engineer BTW).

The long and short of it. I am paying for a service I am not receiving and will not hesitate to take my money elsewhere (no threat just the reality)

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

my comments were general - many think by upgrading it will solve speed or connection problems

you know the system it would seem - fixes and promises of fixes are fluid - pandemic or no pandemic they are not cast in stone - never were never will be - but agents make out it will all be good tomorrow or next week - keeps people happy and gets them off the phone

Tony
0 Kudos
thisisnathaniel
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yup, And I can totally appreciate that.

But it doesn't change the fact I am paying for a service that I am in reality unable to use. I pay for all the sports channels HD etc and yet cannot watch a game (its not just about the packet loss issue while gaming).

I am going to try one more time to disconnect and reconnect every connection in my house, I will also check my ups/downs from the router after I get home from work. But it shouldnt be this difficult. I had a perfect connection for years - covid happened and now I am stuck, with no answers and false promises.

just to add also, I have a friend at work who was experiencing the same issues. Phoned up and had them send out an engineer. Apparently she changed there CAB posistion and he has not had an issue since. But seen as on the phone I keep getting fobbed off, thats why I am on here looking for answers. Hopefully. Because if not I will have to move provider. 

-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

staff here will help but its not just a matter of banging the drum - you obviously know what a good connection is from levels etc but the supply of crystal balls to staff failed so if you want help and input and ultimately a tech to look deeper then you need to post facts - levels from the hub - whether the problem is wired or wifi - what cuts out - again wired or wifi

without those details you are saying its not working send a tech out - thats not how it works on here

Tony
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you've got latency problems, then setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post that immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thisisnathaniel
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Response to tony:

and that is fair enough.

So any bog standard customer, who isn't technically inclined - cannot come on this forum looking for help?

Ok got it. Yeh virgin is a waste of time.

Needing me to supply information (which I will do) to fix a service that I currently pay for? Win win all round for virgin huh. 

0 Kudos
thisisnathaniel
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I will run this over the weekend and post my response to this forum monday. thank you.
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So any bog standard customer, who isn't technically inclined - cannot come on this forum looking for help?....Needing me to supply information (which I will do) to fix a service that I currently pay for? Win win all round for virgin huh. 

I think you're being a bit harsh on Tony.  Anybody is welcome in this forum, and we (unpaid, part-timers, who are also paying VM customers) will try and help, because that's how this "community" forum works.  There's VM staff involved as well, but the forum isn't intended as either a real time response service, or first line customer support by VM.  We'll happily try and identify a fault with your cooperation, and if one can be identified the forum staff can book you a technician.  If the problem isn't VM's network or equipment, then we'll look for solutions that sort the matter out.  And in a very few cases of intractable VM problems that are unlikely to be solved quickly, we'll describe the options open to you.

The reason we're asking you for information is twofold.  First, if the problem can be diagnosed there's a better chance of getting it fixed (bar certain types of problem).  Second, VM know from experience that if they send out technicians "on request", then roughly a third of all callouts find no problem.  That's expensive, so they don't do it, and to get a technician booked there must be evidence of a fault.  In simple terms, VM don't trust customers when they say there's a problem because thirty years of experience tell the company that too often customers are wrong.  In cases where the customer does know that the problem is real, and is clearly VM's responsibility that can be frustrating having to prove something they are experiencing day in day out, but your choices are to cooperate with us and we'll try and help, or to try your luck calling the fault in by phone.  Speaking only for myself, I dread any and all scenarios where I have to deal with VM by telephone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks