Menu
K3V1NR
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

1Gig & Superhub4

Hello,

I had the new 1Gig upgrade done yesterday from my 500mbit connection on superhub 3, the process went fairly smooth as was self install.

Routers reporting the correct config.

However I am not getting anywhere near 1Gig at all, its more like to the PC 300mbit on a good part of the day, this is on a cat 6 as supplied cable in the box, the samknows/realspeed it saying 1080mbit to the router then between 280-300 to the PC.

I have no other devices tagged to the router at all. So either the superhub 4 is complete trash and the gig ports were not tested or its something on my pc, so I tried a completely different one same results, so i tried a different port on back of the hub4 same results.

I then plugged an xbox directly into the hub4 it got 800mbit on the internet test.

I'm completely stumped how the xbox can get that level but none of the pc's I own can. All are new up2date with all the right gig ports etc all on latest builds and drivers for Win 10 top end stuff less than a year old.

Im going to try ubuntu and see whats going on.

I have a set of orbi's so will try them see how they get on with it.

Any help id be grateful.

K3V1N 

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gig & Superhub4

Do you use any type of extra firewall / security / anti-virus software beyond what Microsoft provides?

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
K3V1NR
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No nothing on it I stripped it down to windows and office, just did the ubuntu test realspeed showing 1082 download to the hub and 49mbit speed to the computer thats on a live boot cd running in firefox. and repeated three times.

Ok switched ports on the pc, now getting around 551 on speed to the computer, again ubuntu live cd. still not what i would expect tho would have thought connection from hub to pc would be at 1gbit solid thats the bit I dont understand, unless that is the SH4 just really cant cope with it.

Also the majority of people are going to be running windows not linux. Can anyone with a windows pc tagged into the router directly on gigabit show their results from this please ?

Seems like their is defo something wrong here.

thanks K3V1N

0 Kudos
K3V1NR
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Also noticed the values from realspeed seem to be make believe, just tried on speedcheck.cityfibre.com on ubuntu i get around 920mbit download on windows testing using the same site same location is 580-590. Windows issue defo just no idea what it is,

K3V1N

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

A few people have reported this issue (Windows slower than expected downloads, but Ubuntu ok), however have yet to discover what the issue is.

EDIT:

Check/Try this:

https://superuser.com/questions/1233477/computers-have-drastically-different-download-speeds-on-the-... 

0 Kudos
K3V1NR
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carl,

Yes seems a very weird issue for it not to be picked up during QA through, I looked at autotuninglevel it was set normal on both pc's good suggestion tho.

Thanks

K3V!N

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Might not help but you could enable TCP timestamps
netsh int tcp set global timestamps=enable

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am a little confused here.

You have 2 computers, one Xbox, all 3 can be wired.

Xbox can get 800~

PC can get 300~, 551~, 590~ or 920~ depending on OS/Port/Download site?  920 would be correct for a gigabit connection, so it looks like one of your speed test is showing okay sometimes?

For Windows, Disable Auto-Tuning, Disable Large Send Offload, Are you using IPv6? - Tried with it off? How old are the computers and drives?

I would personally uninstall the ethernet adapter and add let Windows add back (Seems to work sometimes when it shouldnt), but that might be overkill for some people.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
K3V1NR
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So bit of an update here, for whatever reason the speeds are now giving me the full gig on the broadband, it fluctuates during the day but there are loads still WFH so expected, I am wondering if this was a fault on the Virgin side that has now been rectified. I put the SH4 in modem mode and now route it via the ORBI RBK50's and its giving me what i expected to get near enough 850-960 mbit so no idea what has changed. Same kit same laptops same software running.

All's well that ends well I guess.

K3V1N

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@K3V1NR wrote:

So bit of an update here, for whatever reason the speeds are now giving me the full gig on the broadband, it fluctuates during the day but there are loads still WFH so expected, I am wondering if this was a fault on the Virgin side that has now been rectified. I put the SH4 in modem mode and now route it via the ORBI RBK50's and its giving me what i expected to get near enough 850-960 mbit so no idea what has changed. Same kit same laptops same software running.

All's well that ends well I guess.

K3V1N

Any recent Windows Updates?

0 Kudos