Menu
VLRC
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

1Gig Speed NOT as it should be

Hello everyone

I have switched on the 30th December to 1Gig Fibre, did several testing and these are the resultsç

vmresults.jpg

This is an average representation of the kind of values that I keep having on a daily basis of testing.

A couple of notes:

- These tests had been done via cabled connection and after switching my Ethernet cables  from a Cat5 (which is what I thought would influence the results) to a Cat8 to my iMac with classic 10/100/1000 built-in architecture.

- i just had an engineer here today that could not really help me out as he had been told by VM Customer Service/Technical Team wrong informations (they told the engineer that I had no connection at all which was not the case). Apparently I now have to book a Service  Engineer to verify this and I am pretty mad about it.

- Tests had also been done with a different computer (Macbook Pro) with different cables as well (the engineer left me a Cat6 Ethernet cable) with the same results, if not worse.

I'd really like to sort this out so I am happy to give further details to whoever picks this up because at the moment I am not very happy about this new Gig1 Fibre! I am bound to a HUB4 which apparently has a lot of issues and the service does not run on a HUB3 (that I haven' sent back yet after my upgrade). As much as I can potentially run my Gig1 with a different router having HUB4 in modem mode, this is absolutely NOT RIGHT! 

Please help!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gig Speed NOT as it should be

Are you doing the test via the 1Gig test website?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

0 Kudos
VLRC
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the screenshot is from that test

0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Seeing as how the Hub 4 is receiving over 1000Mb & it's showing the actual speed to said device is low, it's either a cabling issue or device issue. 
Either the cable is damaged and not doing a proper job at providing the Gigabit speed, I'd recommend firing the Hub into modem mode and gong hardwired to check the speed again, also try another Ethernet port on the Hub. If the Hub itself is receiving the speed then really there should be no reason the device wouldn't. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
0 Kudos
VLRC
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can I put the Hub in Modem mode and then connect it to my computer?!

As mentioned in the previous messages, I have tried different cables and devices and yet the results are all pretty similar if not even worse.

Is it possible then that i had just been sent a faulty Hub?!

0 Kudos
VLRC
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Also: I get the same results even switching to any of the 4 ethernet ports on the hub

0 Kudos
VLRC
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

test 07 Jan 2021test 07 Jan 2021

this  is a test with the hub4 in Modem mode connected via ethernet cable Cat8.

It is simply not doing its job! 

0 Kudos
VLRC
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@VLRC wrote:

Can I put the Hub in Modem mode and then connect it to my computer?!

As mentioned in the previous messages, I have tried different cables and devices and yet the results are all pretty similar if not even worse.

Is it possible then that i had just been sent a faulty Hub?!

Yes you can.

Put the Hub into Modem Mode.

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the Hub 

Switch the Hub off.

Connect a Cat 5e or better ethernet cable to the Hub and PC.

Switch the Hub on and allow it to boot up.

Then ...

What speeds do you get at >> Sam Knows Real Speed << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
VLRC
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have done this already, picture of the results about it is in the topic!

Also, SamKnows does not get my Hub when in Modem Mode (which is why the results are from Think Broadband).

This is getting nerve wrecking: my next phone bill is gonna be astronomical due to all the time I have spent over the phone in the last days to sort this issue out!!! And I had ran out of minutes in my allowance!

I have already filed a complaint about this whole situation and if I cannot resolve it, I will disconnect my services and as per Terms & Conditions given I am entitled to no disconnection fees due to the fact that the issue persisted!
0 Kudos