Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1Gig Fibre - what are peoples speeds using another router?

Hi all, just upgraded to 1gig - over cat 6 to my pc 'm getting 939/52Mbps, over wifi i'm getting 488/48Mbps on my Huawei Mate X.

Happy with the speeds but just wanted to ask if other users get faster speeds using just the HUB4 as I'm using my Tplink AC1750? Also could i get faster speeds in theory if my router was wifi 6 along with my phone and my pc/rouer having a 2.5Gbps network connection.

Thanks

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 1Gig Fibre - what are peoples speeds using another router?

Well no matter what your hardware at your end the HUB4 only has a 1Gb/s Lan port so your speed it about bang on its max.

WIFI 6 AX can get that speed easily but not sure if the HUB4 will hit that speed on its WIFI 5 AC even though it is 160MHZ AFAIK

The new Mobo's about to come out have Intels new 2.5Gb/s NIC's, last gen you could get 2.5Gb/s 5Gb/s and even 10Gb/s on affordable Mobos but they were 3rd partly add in NIC's not on chipset.

Like many here I do not see point in the HUB4 right now and was told when I asked about WIFI 6 AX that it was "too new and unproven", my reply was my Intel WIFI Card was fully Certed in Sep 2019 and backwards compatible with WIFI 5 AC.

You will only see 1.1Gb/s (10% extra due to Contention) in the Samknows Software  as that is though the Coaxial to HUB4 before it goes out to devices but someone here did some test with multiple cables in multiple ports and claims he got full speed but I think it was in Modem mode (previous HUBs disable all ports bar one if you do so not sure on HUB4).

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The limiting factor is the connection between the Hub 4 and your router, the Hub has 1Gbit ports so with a single connection to the WAN side of your router, however fast the connection between your PC or devices over wifi are to the router, it'll never get faster than about 950 allowing for the overheads. It might just be possible to improve this with jumbo frames but I can't see that being an option on the 4.

What can work is to have the Hub in router mode (somewhat counter-intuitively) and then have a router which has multiple WAN ports and bond them together. Connect two cables between the router and the Hub and configure it accordingly and you should be able to push the throughput over 1Gb/s, although, as you say, you'll need a PC/router with 2.5 or 10Gbit ports. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If it's bang on speeds, i'm happy then 🙂

Well wired speeds i am, i'd like to see what WIFI 6 rated router/phone can achieve if anyone knows?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I get this with the Hub4 in Router Mode using my iPhone XS Max...

E14F5A19-E2DA-4948-A4BF-B78C42498637.png

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Was that with a WiFi 6 router? I know the iPhone is. 

If so I don't think I'll bother upgrading. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No just the standard Virgin Media issued Hub4.

XS Max is also NOT WiFi-6 - it’s 802.11AC. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is the phone AC 160MHZ ?

He was asking for WIFI 6 tests BTW.

0 Kudos