cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1Gig BB - coax?

askfordave
Tuning in

Hi we’ve just got 1gig BB. We’re only getting 500mbps dl on various tests. The box is connected by a coax, shouldn’t it be a fibre connection? 

12 REPLIES 12

jem101
Superstar

No; coax is the right connection medium.

As regard to speed, what are you using to measure it? Is this over WiFi (where speeds can be all over the place and can't be guaranteed) or via an ethernet connected PC/laptop?

Both, Ethernet and wifi. Max we get it 475-500mbps. Nothing more than this. Done various Speedtest on it. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you try it this way first....

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop (check NIC card settings), with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”
(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). T
his ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As per John. 

Also log in to the hub at 192.168.0.1. Go to Advanced Settings and in the Configuration tab what is in the table marked 
Primary Downstream Service Flow? 

Hi askfordave,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you've had some issues with the speeds. Have you been able to try what jbrennand has suggested?

Alex_Rm

I’ll have a play around tomorrow. See how I get on. Not sure I’ll be able to do all of the above but will have a play and advise.

thanks for the responses all 👍🏻 

An ideal test would be to have the PC being the only device connected direct by Ethernet to the modem - so nothing on Wifi actually active. You don't really need to disconnect everything but they need not to be active.

Then with everything closed on a rebooted PC and with for Edge or Chrome browser run RealSpeed - SamKnows (I avoid Firefox as that never seems to be able to achive the PC speed I would like).

The left column shouid be slightly more then 1000mpbs - if the left column is less than around 900mbps then the issue is either with the PC not being fast enough or an issue with your indoor network.

ozsat_0-1654416905940.png

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

thanks, out of interest I just ran this… 

F137EE67-5EEF-4214-A099-A7FDD3F56E7C.png

So that shows that VM side everything is good. You will not get much better via wifi to an IPhone.

@askfordave wrote:

thanks, out of interest I just ran this… 

F137EE67-5EEF-4214-A099-A7FDD3F56E7C.png

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5