Menu
williamleggatt
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

1Gbs and Hub4 in Modem mode.

Setup as above, with Google/Nest mesh.

Recent upgrade from 350mb/s connection.

Speed tests performed with both Google router (cabled) and direct (cabled) PC to Hub4 (modem mode).

both show 675MB/s  - so nearly half what it should be.

router status below.

Any ideas / help / advice ?

Also, am I better off using the VM wi-fi (I would need 2-3 of the powerline adapters) or sticking with the Google/nest setup ?

williamleggatt_0-1620373618126.pngwilliamleggatt_1-1620373640785.pngwilliamleggatt_2-1620373664059.png

williamleggatt_5-1620373842308.pngwilliamleggatt_6-1620373865469.png

williamleggatt_3-1620373691995.png

williamleggatt_4-1620373706393.png

williamleggatt_0-1620374371860.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gbs and Hub4 in Modem mode.

What speed do you get on https://samknows.com/realspeed/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a Cat 5e cable or better with a 1Gbps capable Ethernet network card?

1. Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or better
  2. Make sure your PC/laptop has a 1Gbps or better network card
  3. Disconnect all other Ethernet cables when running the test
  4. Make sure the Hub is in router mode NOT modem mode

Also stay away from powerline adapters, they are very unreliable, better of using direct cables where possible.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
0 Kudos
williamleggatt
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As per original message, I have tested via a pc on a direct LAN connection, and only get the 675 speed. PC was done in router mode, Google router/hub in modem mode.

All cables are CAT6 bonded (not hand made). PC is HP Elite book 1gb LAN (proven on Cisco switch that this works as expected). 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you're unable to run the test as asked above on https://samknows.com/realspeed/ then good luck with your problem 🙂

BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
williamleggatt
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure how helpful that is meant to be.

the issue is not speed into the router, but line speed out when directly connected via suitable network kit. Running the "samknows" test proves this.  Speed has DROPPED since my previous post.  During testing only a single device connected.

williamleggatt_0-1620389966677.png

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The point of the test was to see the speed coming in which shows you are getting the full speed, so this leaves either the router, cable coming from the router or laptop network card.

Can you put the laptop/pc in safe mode with networking and while the laptop is connected, type 192.168.0.1 to go into router settings and switch to modem mode, make sure no other Ethernet cables are in the router, just the laptop/pc Ethernet cable as in modem mode the router will lock on to just one Ethernet connection and we want that to be the laptop. The router will take about 5 minutes to reboot.
Once it has fully rebooted and the laptop had established a connection, try a speed test and see what happens. Just give the laptop a bit of time to connect as sometimes this can be a bit slow.

To return the Hub to router mode just type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar of your browser to access the router settings and switch back to router mode.

0 Kudos
ajones01
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi William

I have roughly the same problem as you see my post here   https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Dropped-Speed-overnight/m-p/4710761#M270644  and after 2 weeks testing things and spending money on equipment I didn't need I suspect it is the change of ip address on the Virgin server when you change from router to modem mode. I get 945meg when in router mode when I switch to modem the ip address changes and my speed halves. Check to see if it is the same case with you to

regards

Andy  

0 Kudos
williamleggatt
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The test was run with the router in modem mode and PC in safe mode  and in "normal" mode for the PC - similar results , using same cable (and network card - with latest drivers)... I know the cable and card are OK, although have tried with a different cable, just to double check.  

Which in my mind leaves the Virgin router, receiving the full speed, but not delivering it to a single PC when hardwired. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yeah mate, sounds like it's a router problem. Best to ring Virgin on or just after 8am on 0345 454 1111 or alternatively you can wait here for a Virgin staff member to pick it up, but unfortunately this will typically be between 5-10 days, sometimes sooner, sometimes later depending on how busy they are. If you decide to call it in it will run through a few automated options and after that ring back again and it should recognise that you have rang previously and then put you in the queue for a Virgin representative.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @williamleggatt  thanks for reaching out and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear you're not receiving the speeds you're paying for via a wired connection.  I would like to take a closer look on your behalf.  To enable me to do so, I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos