Menu
lucidcstowers
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

1Gbps getting around 400Mbps

Hi all,

I'm posting on behalf of a Virgin customer we've been helping out.

Their package is 1Gbps, but they average around 400Mbps.

The average speed comes from a single laptop, connected directly to the Virgin Router (in modem only mode) via an Ethernet cable.

To cover everything we've used three different laptops and two different Ethernet cables, but the test results are always the same - an average of 400Mbps download speed.

We phoned Virgin Tech support, who simply advised us to complain to Ofcom! We don't want to complain, we just want it to work at the speed that they are paying for!

Any ideas, please?

0 Kudos
neilhd
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gbps getting around 400Mbps

No advice, but I have the exact same issue.

0 Kudos
Dekenba
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I have almost the same problem. I upgraded to 0.5Gbps, and although my upload speeds increased to around 35Mbps, the download speeds are now less than the 200Mbps service I had previously. It's regardless of the device, being the same across various laptops & mobiles, wired or wireless.

I should have known better, Virgin being Virgin, where customer service is treated as an inconvenience to Virgin.

I'll have to drop back down to 200Mbps in order to increase my download speeds from a 500Mbps service!

Virgin really don't have serious competition with the speeds they offer, perhaps that's why they treat customers like idiots?

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @lucidcstowers

Thank you so much for your first post to the forums and it's great to have you on board!

I am so sorry to hear this is happening to the customers services. I would love to have a look into this for them, but I would need to be able to find their account online. I'm going to send you a PM so we can try and get this sorted. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of the screen. 

Thank you. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos