Menu
Safron6
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

1Gb upgrade

So, over the past 18 months Virgin have been claiming that we will have the 1Gb Broadband.

I had an email informing me to order my Hub 4, then the link went.

Virgin claimed that the rollout had been delayed, I was informed that iy would be last November, then January, then March, then May, next it was to be August.

Then the news hit the Nationals on 7th September 2021

Virgin Media O2 has today announced its gigabit broadband network has been expanded to reach more than 10 million homes across the UK, meaning that two thirds of its footprint can now access hyperfast broadband speeds.

As part of today’s gigabit switch-on, Virgin Media O2 has upgraded its network with 1.7 million homes gaining access to the next-generation connectivity with towns and cities including Blackpool, Cambridge, Leicester, Nottingham, Oxford and Swindon now able to benefit.

Virgin Media’s next-generation Gig1 broadband service, with average download speeds of 1,130Mbps, is the fastest available from a major broadband provider in the UK – 14 times faster than the national average.

Not true.

I rang and requested the upgrade but was informed I live in the wrong part of Leicester.

When can my upgrade be expected?

"No Idea just keep checking in the news."

Why should I bother when the news is incorrect, well correct to a degree.

However what Virgin need to face up to is that in my area now BT Opebreach have almost finished upgrading their Fibre Broadband to match the top speeds of Virgin so I may be leaving to them.

My question is does anyone know when Area 30 of VirginMedia can expect the higher speed?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gb upgrade

Only VM will know that for certain - and they wont say openly until its done - it is handing over valuable competitive information. BR OR will for sure not give you a "fixed date" it is likely to be an estimate until they know for certain.

If OR arrives first and 1GB is important for you, then leave VM and join BT OR. What are you expecting it to do that you cant do now on... say 500?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Safron6
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Because I have my daughters and son in laws and grandsons living with me we have 3 V6 and a TiVO.

We have 8 gaming consols, my PC, my wifes work PC and the speed drops dramatically on the top speed M600 already.

I hard wired and networked my house to accommodate the pressure on the speed but at times even that isn't good enough.

The internet connection quite often drops from the TVs which flashes up a message in the corner of the screen.

I use mainly Flight Sim and do so on line, not much fun when the frames freeze or messages between fliers are lost.

0 Kudos
jem101
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Safron6 and I can promise you that none of these problems will be fixed by a speed increase. The use case you have described should easily be accommodated by a slower speed - headline bandwidth or ‘speed’ is rarely an issue now, latency and congestion are though.

Upgrading to a faster speed will not address these issues, in fact if you read through a number of other threads on this forum, there is a chance that upgrading will actually give you less performance but now you will be paying for the privilege!

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM plans to upgrade its entire UK network to DOCSIS 3.1 by the end of 2021, and this will also bring Gig1 to those areas. There is no announcement that this deadline will be missed. Furthermore you won't be informed when the upgrade takes place, I checked recently (out of curiosity) and discovered that I can get Gig1.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos