Menu
Drefsab
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1Gb fibre

Hi there,

ISP review and serveral other news sites reported that you turned on 1gb fibre in the manchester area, virgins own website (https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gig1-gigabit-broadband?navelement=homepage_pos8_button) states "Now available in Southampton and Manchester and surrounding areas"

On that same page it says for existing customers to click to talk to live chat if your interested, so I clicked and guess what theh guys at the other end dont know anything about it. Its only in southhampton, you cant have it go away. Not really good customer service given your directing people to them to ask about something. So it it possible to find some actual details how an existing customer already on the maximum oomf package could upgrade to that 1Gb?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gb fibre

Gig1 is available subject to network capacity. Log into your VM account and see if you can upgrade to it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I checked two of my neighbors (I live on a Cul-de-Sac) who don't have VM service (One after me, one before) and the checker will let them order the m1000 service.  When I am logged in I check for me, I am on a m200 service and it tells me that no other service is available in my area, the package checker doesn't show lower packages for me either but I guess that could be just to make it difficult to downgrade service?

Not tried giving them a phone call about it - service gives no benefit to me so why pay ~£20 more a month for it.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've a feeling that the online system doesn't offer the broadband upgrade until you are out of contract. And I've never seen a downgrade offered.

--
0 Kudos
Drefsab
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The portal doesn't give me a choice to upgrade either but neighbouring houses can order it new, so basically existing customers are an afterthought it seams. I'd upgrade because the upload would be nice to have and hell I'm paying for top whack of everything else.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Look at what happened with the Ultimate Oomph bundle: it was offered to new customers for £99pm for a year but several existing customers reported getting this deal by phoning up.

--
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yea.  And in all fairness it does mention "Chat with us" in lots of places, so perhaps they know that the system itself cant make the best decisions.

52 meg upload is laughable really.  It should be more like 110+ or 77+ at a minimum.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is odd. I would think it is the same as when 500 was only available in certain places. Agreed with the upload. I am finding pulling down my entire works drive storage of 300GB, sorting out the out of date stuff and re uploading it a breeze on 220mbps. Hopefully VM will jump up in the future. They didn't bother with my estate here - but they run along the main road, but if they ever decided to cable it and they do more than 50 up I would consider them again - £62 a month beats £240 - and VM's offering has a lot of things you can do with it. 

0 Kudos