Menu
drpay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

1Gb Connection - Below the minimum guaranteed speed

Morning all,

Last Thursday i received my new HUB 4 after upgrading to a 1gb broadband from M350.

Setup was easy and everything seemed to work..but the speed i am getting is far below the minimum guaranteed which is 570m and sometimes i see 420m.. 

I am on wired connection.. tried to phone Virgin and they say my connection needed a signal and soft rebooted the router.. tried to call for at least 3 times the tech support and sometimes the call drops off or after 1h none respond..

Now after countless tries.. i am not even able to get trough tech support... an automatic message says" we have found no issue with your broadband" and hang-up... there is no option or prompt to get an agent to answer you..

P.S i have no tv.. is just broadband and my previous package with 350m and Hub3 was working flawless.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gb Connection - Below the minimum guaranteed speed

What speed do you get on here?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

0 Kudos
drpay
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jb66.

The speed test i am getting there is completely different from https://www.speedtest.net/ , which is also suggested By Virgin itself.

ON Samknows.. i got 910 out of 1035 on a London server... which then is the speed i should be getting.

Edit. When downloading something from a platform.. it reflect my actual speed from Speedtest.. which i just checked now and it was 378

Worth to mention.. the upload speed reflect the actual speed you are supposed to get with the 1gb package. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like it's your equipment that's the bottleneck and not the virgin service as samknows is the site virgin reccomend you use 

0 Kudos
drpay
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.. any idea how this can be fixed ?

I can't contact virgin media tech support over the phone as stated on my first post.
0 Kudos
RikinTrivedi
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

From the Exchange to Hub 4 is 915Mbps and from Hub4 to the PC is 261Mpbs

The PC is connected directly to the Hub4 via Ethernet cable and there is nothing in the middle

The PC LAN port is configured to auto negotiation and it shows 1Gb

So, where do you think the bottleneck could be?

RikinTrivedi_0-1608651312310.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
drpay
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

In my case.. just re-done the test now

drpay_0-1608658135092.png

And this is from Speedtest.net

drpay_1-1608658225592.png

I am also connected via ethernet.. and i am using a Cat7 cable.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Tech support told me over the phone that Speedtest.net was no good for tests via Ethernet for 1 gigabyte connection and that it's only good for mobile devices and slower connections and that Samknows/realspeed should be used.

Try test on https://fast.com/en/gb/ and http://ovh.net/. I have my router in modem mode and find these sites the most accurate. Speedtest.net only gives me around 400-500mb as well.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
drpay
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply, my Hub is in router mode.. setting it into modem would have any impact ?

I tested on both sites and the results are very different

drpay_0-1608665556011.png

drpay_0-1608665454775.png

0 Kudos
conman33158
Super solver
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You would only used modem mode if you are using your own third party router like Asus, Netgear etc.

Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos