Menu
Primaryguy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1GB - not coming through yet...

I upgraded on Tuesday and was initially seeing speeds of 480-540Mbps, but this has now dropped to around the 100Mbps I was getting on my previous package.  At one point near lunchtime today, my download speed dropped to 3Mbps, but my upload was still 50+ Mbps.

Really need this working soon as am broadcasting/streaming national conferences for my work and 100Mbps will not do the job!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 1GB - not coming through yet...

How are you testing the speed? What are you getting at www.samknows.com/realspeed (if your Hub 4 is in router mode)
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Primaryguy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have checked this site and it tells me that my Hub is getting 1062Mbps, but that only about 290Mbps are getting through to my desktop PC via ethernet cable (about 5m away from the hub).  What would you suggest I do to improve this?

Primaryguy_0-1600965781192.png

0 Kudos
Primaryguy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sod's law that now I have reported it, it is working better than ever.  If someone at VM has done something, then thanks!

Primaryguy_0-1600968337306.png

0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That App is crap, it will give random results some faster in than out and vice versa.

I posted plenty of photos of it.

Use the Win 10 App by OOKLA (Speedtest.net) or and their Web App as that is what VM recommend.

Also Netflix's test ; Internet Speed Test | Fast.com (you may need config it in setting to get full speed.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jhuk wrote:

That App is crap, it will give random results some faster in than out and vice versa.

I posted plenty of photos of it.

Use the Win 10 App by OOKLA (Speedtest.net) or and their Web App as that is what VM recommend.

Also Netflix's test ; Internet Speed Test | Fast.com (you may need config it in setting to get full speed.

Speedtest.net has been recommended in the past as they have servers within the Virgin Media network, so doing a speedtest through there will avoid any issues with testing across the whole internet.

However all speedtests except the Sam Knows Real Speed test will test been the device it's running on and the speedtest server. So can pick up issues that are happening in your internal network as well as any issues between your Hub and Virgin Media.

Now that the Sam Knows test is available on the Hub 4, that is the recommend test as it's the only one that tests directly to the Hub as well as to your device. So it can help identify if there is Virgin Media network problem that needs to be resolved, something within your home network, or both.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And again I will state from a user of the HUB4 it is crap and unreliable and random as my dozens of screens show this and will only give VM a reason to blame end users PC's.

0 Kudos
cfishburn
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure it's great, but doesn't help if you use your own router (I personally use a UDMP) and the Superhub is in modem mode
0 Kudos
jhuk
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Above I was referring to to the SamKnows crap not the HUB4 overall but I do not really rate the HUB4 so far (still have immature FW's with same bugs HUB3 did/has).)

0 Kudos