Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

Well I'm a silly c word
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 82 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Virgin like to do that - when I moved they sent the packaging to the new address the same day I gave them 30 days notice - so it got thrown away by the current owner. Makes no sense!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 83 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Interesting and not surprising to see that the bottlenecks on customer PCs, home networks, etc, have been exposed by the Gig1 service.

Should be seeing this a bunch more come February when Openreach release their 'home' gigabit packages, alongside the ongoing CityFibre and other alternative network builds.

VM's FTTP should be getting more interesting soon, too.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 84 of 102
Flag for a moderator

We have to be careful there are two fundamental differences though

1) Customers PC (and hence network) will happily download files from services like Steam at more or less the full bandwidth available
2) Speedtest.net does not consistently work on the same machines and results in a lower/inconsistent manner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 85 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Speed testing has always been an interesting thing and it'll remain so I'm sure. 

A few checkers produce odd results. In some cases they're CPU hogs, in others I am not sure what the issues are.

Something very positive that has happened has been extensive caching and use of CDNs in the UK. This is excellent. The big networks have 75%+ being taken care of by on-net / private PI connected CDNs.

I have concerns about gigabit performance on BT Wholesale, but we'll see if they can do the necessary.

VM, Sky, BT Wholesale and I'm sure others have all had performance issues at one point or another where they simply ran out of ports on line cards and slots for new line cards. In VM's case it was the CMTS, fixed by replacing the chassis, Sky and BT Wholesale it was switches / routers / access nodes and again chassis replacement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 86 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Interesting and not surprising to see that the bottlenecks on customer PCs, home networks, etc, have been exposed by the Gig1 service.

Should be seeing this a bunch more come February when Openreach release their 'home' gigabit packages, alongside the ongoing CityFibre and other alternative network builds.

Do you have any more info on this as I've been interested in FTTP for a few years now.

Just to give an update on my side. I got a 2TB NVME on black friday as my main drive and apart from Battle.net I'm downloading at the full gigabit 90% of the time now. Downloaded Red Dead Redemption 2 which is 112GB in 20 minutes, ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 87 of 102
Flag for a moderator

You mean 950ishMb/s? as you not going to get 1Gb/s period on VM with a HUB4 to your PC (internally on SamKnows software sure).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 88 of 102
Flag for a moderator

112GB in 20 mins is 747Mbit/s or so.  Quick but not quite flat out yet 😄

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 89 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@theasylumUK wrote:

@CarlTSpeak wrote:

Do you have any more info on this as I've been interested in FTTP for a few years now.

Just to give an update on my side. I got a 2TB NVME on black friday as my main drive and apart from Battle.net I'm downloading at the full gigabit 90% of the time now. Downloaded Red Dead Redemption 2 which is 112GB in 20 minutes, ridiculous.

Well, I can assure you that if you don't have FTTP from VM right now you aren't getting it any time soon. The interesting stuff is for those in areas either already built with FTTP or to be built with FTTP.

Beyond that yes, plenty, though for obvious reasons I won't go into specifics here: sorry. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 90 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Managed to get over the gig/930ish limit using a couple of connections to the router from another router.  Still need to do some testing and optimal settings but it is possible ....

8883413271.png

Image does not seem to load so here is the link 1141Mbps 😄

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8883413271

0 Kudos