Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 71 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

I haven't seen more than about 50Megabytes/second from steam.

I have been getting a solid 113Megabytes/sec (904megabits) from Epic Game Store so maybe try that and download Fortnite or something as a test.

Intel gigabit interface and a SSD here. 

I tried both the Manchester and London Steam download servers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 72 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@jhuk wrote:

Test your HDD speed there are various free progress but some are not accurate for Mech HDD as more suited to SSD's.

The now defunk HD-Tach was the most accurate for Mech HDD's and for SSD's I use ATTO Disk Benchmark as that is what the manufacturers use in their advertised specs.

HD-Tune may be OK but it tends to read a little high as its the cache to disk speed but again its old (2008) now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 73 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Nothing wrong with the read speed but that version does not do writes but unless your HDD was broken it will be nearly the same speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 74 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Had 1GB service installed last week and I seem to have the same issues with speed as others on this thread. 

The SamKnows RealSpeed shows me getting the full 1GB but my wired i3 PC (which is quite old) will only show a download speed of around 350mb.  I tried this with Windows 10 and also a live dvd of Ubuntu.

Is it just the network card is not up to the speed (it is motherboard integrated) so would popping in a standalone card boost the speed?

Thanks

Stu

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 75 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@StuBFrost wrote:

Is it just the network card is not up to the speed (it is motherboard integrated) so would popping in a standalone card boost the speed?

probably, but you'd also be limited to what your motherboard supports in terms of bus speed on the PCI slots.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 76 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Frustrating having the speed and not being able to use it!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 77 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Technically you are getting the speed, you just can’t use it all on one machine!

But this does illustrate something which was  mentioned somewhere above, this 1Gig provision by VM is not really intended to be used on a single device or necessarily to be expected that you can get it on a single device - it’s more targeted at homes with a large number of machines which might all be heavy downloaders. In fact if I were a cynic I might say that the 1 Gig speed is a much a marketing ploy than something that the vast majority of customers will actually make use of.

Incidentally this also nicely demonstrates how ‘doing a speed test’ isn’t quite as simple as it sounds. There is a chain of devices involved all the way from the source server down to the buffer and the write speed of the local disks subsystem. Any one of them can drag the overall test result down - so it’s certainly not the case that if you are getting somewhat less than 1 Gb/s (more like 950 Mb/s) that there has to be a problem with the hub or connection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 78 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Even a PCIx1 Express bus is a 250Megabytes/sec so well above the speed needed to max out a gigabit card.

@StuBFrost you might actually be getting a higher speed to your computer on regular downloads etc. what you are not getting is a good test from speedtest.net.  The traffic that is going from and to speedtest.net and or other benchmark sites is "simulated data" and your system and some of my systems struggle with.  Speedtest.net does not appear to be using my SSD when downloading and that would not be a bottleneck anyway. 

Steam, on the other hand, will quite happily sustain downloads at 100+Megabytes/sec on a computer that runs Speedtest at around half the speed.

I am going to dig a bit more into the traffic from speedtest.net to have a look.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 79 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to post this as its got nothing to do with the subject matter but I received a package from Virgin today that was the length of a skateboard and it had aboslutely nothing in it 😂

https://i.imgur.com/1ufldf6.png

What is going on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 80 of 102
Flag for a moderator

It is to return their hardware, I got one addressed to to someone else before.

0 Kudos