Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 61 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

According to this video Steam should handle it fine.

https://youtu.be/QT9b7VU8nHc?t=339

5:39 if the timestamp doesn't work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 62 of 102
Flag for a moderator

My desktop PC which is a really good spec seems not to be able to get the full potential.  I think this is down to the built in network card and or it’s driver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 63 of 102
Flag for a moderator

if it's a real proper intel gigabit NIC then it should top out at 940~Mbps.
assuming your using cat5e/cat6 cable.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 64 of 102
Flag for a moderator

It's my HDD that is the bottleneck. Bog standard 7200rpm drive that I use as a gaming drive, just tested Steam but this time downloading to my NVME drive and wham bam thank you mam:

https://i.imgur.com/wh1P2Tb.png 

The question is would an SSD be able to cope with the speed? far cheaper than a 1TB NVME lol

It's getting to around 70MB/s on my gaming HDD now though which is hasn't reached since I got it on Saturday so no idea what is going on. It usually siuts around 40 - 45MB/s on my 7200RPM drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 65 of 102
Flag for a moderator

A modern hard drive should outperform a gigabit ethernet connection.

My adaptor is an Intel I218-V on the back of an Asus X99S board and it has no issues performing at around 900Mbps or so in iPerf

So I did the same download as yourself and it peaked at 103.6MB/s or 828.8Mb/s so just a bit below the expected speed but close.

Straight after that test Speedtest.net to TNP in Manchester records a lowly 429Mb/s via Chrome browser (VM a similar speed).  On the W10 desktop app I am getting even lower.  SamKnows is saying 1049 on the last run.

However, I am using a Linksys LRT224 as an intermediary router at the moment which does cause some speed tests to run slower, but ironically still allows the fast steam download.

I do find that speedtest is a bit fickle and not that reliable though and if you can get a fast "real" connection then you can get close to the throughput.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 66 of 102
Flag for a moderator

A WD Red which is made to be quiet and runs at 5400rpm and a not been updated since 2013 (AFAIR) can sustain 145MB/s so any modern 7200rpm HDD will be fine some of the larger models now do 200MB/s (WD Red Pro again not new) and possibly newer models 250MB/s due to higher density.

I have no kept up with latest Shingled/Helium tech etc as went all SSD part from my Ext backup Enclosure that is set to Raid10 with 4x WD Reds so that is 190MB/s and slowest part of my PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 67 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I figured that my 7200RPM drive should be fast enough but I don't know what to say. Done the test on 5 different games on Steam and it only downloads at max speed when it's writing to my NVME.

Origin/Battle.net are capped at 40 - 45 regardless of the drive I'm downloading to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 68 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Test your HDD speed there are various free progress but some are not accurate for Mech HDD as more suited to SSD's.

The now defunk HD-Tach was the most accurate for Mech HDD's and for SSD's I use ATTO Disk Benchmark as that is what the manufacturers use in their advertised specs.

HD-Tune may be OK but it tends to read a little high as its the cache to disk speed but again its old (2008) now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 69 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@theasylumUK wrote:

Yeah I figured that my 7200RPM drive should be fast enough but I don't know what to say. Done the test on 5 different games on Steam and it only downloads at max speed when it's writing to my NVME.

Origin/Battle.net are capped at 40 - 45 regardless of the drive I'm downloading to.

is it SATA 1, 2, or 3?
that would make a big difference depending on which one it is.

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II
 (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 70 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@theasylumUK wrote:

Speedtest and the like are reporting anywhere from 300 - 650. Might get the odd 750+ here and there.

Samknows is reporting 1090Mbps so it doesn't seem like the router is the issue.

So you are seeing variations in the speedtest.net results from 300 - 750 Mbps. I see similar variations myself.

I doubt that is down solely to the speed of your harddrive. I find that if I've got loads of tabs open on Chrome, other apps open and been working away for hours then the speedtest.net generally shows lower speeds than if I do a clean boot of my PC, allow everything to settle then run speedtest.net.

I also see very different results switching between:

But they don't behave consistently.

I would say my home system is fairly decent. It's definitely not state of the art but it would be better than 90% of Jo Public's setup. But I don't think all the elements together in my setup allow for a consistent 900Mbps + download speed. On the contrary I think I can reliably get 400Mbps + and often 600Mbps. But the 900Mbps only happens occasionally when all the stars align.

It's certainly not the case that using Cat 6 cable to a 1G NIC will guarantee you 900Mbs+  download. There are a lot of other factors that could limit it.

With the G1 service I really think VM will end up being (even more) swamped by people complaining they're not getting the speeds they're paying for and 99 times out of 100 it will be down to the end-user's setup not the Virgin network. Embedding Samknows was a good move for VM. It's a shame it can run when the Hub4 is in modem mode.

(NB I'm putting the whole 930Mbs vs 1Gbps argument aside as that's being debated in plenty other threads.)

0 Kudos