Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 51 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

Think I'm missing a trick.

All those times I rented in the past when apparently I could've had a landlord that was happy to spend £240 - £360 a month providing Internet access. I had to provide my own.

That said, all my landlords had their own property they lived in rather than apparently going between the various properties in their portfolios, spending small fortunes buying Internet connections to them, then moving on to their next one and leaving the contract on the other one running like some kind of nomad leaving expensive, long contract ultrafast broadband behind.

I only own one property for right now, though I suspect I own one more than a certain poster in this thread.

We all have our writing styles, though, and many of us stick out like a sore thumb - https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/revealed-expected-price-of-virgin-medias-uk-1gbps-broa... - gee wonder who Sally with their 1000/220 product from Cerberus, their triple PhD and inability to write the plural of PhD could be? https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/openreach-prices-new-uk-consumer-550mbps-and-1gbps-ftt... gives a hint.

People coming on here whinging, whining, writing utter **bleep** and contributing absolutely nothing is absolutely fine. My signature having a little sass is a capital offense.

Any questions on why more heavily technical people don't use this place anymore? Not a tricky one to resolve.

I'm in the process of writing up a slide presentation on how VM's network is evolving and how it will evolve in the future. Regrettably some basement dweller will pop up claiming it's all speculation and, therefore, worthless, so I won't bother sharing it on here. Sally with their triple PhD can find it on Google Scholar I'm sure if so inclined.

I apologise, OP, for hijacking your thread and will say nothing more on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 52 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Well after reading through some of your links posts and getting completely confused about who's who and who are the same people just with different names there appears to be a solution.

Whoever Beany is, they are telling people that popular to what I thought was a fairly well-understood concept it is possible to get over the connection speed of the slowest link by simply connecting a quicker connection to it.  So the solution would be to get a 10gigabit switch and hook it up to the VM SH4 router.  Anytime anybody challenging Beany on this would then be pointed to the fact the 8Gbps trial only had a 1 x 5 Gbps and 1 x 1 Gbps and yet that worked and that the challenging individuals clearly don't understand networking.  Or it could be that VM just have a similar setup with SamKnows being able to talk directly to the modem bypassing any issue like this.

Anybody got a technical explanation of what new feature of networking this could be?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 53 of 102
Flag for a moderator

you can hook whatever you want up to the hub4, but it's only got a gigabit ethernet port, so you won't be getting any more than 940~Mbps from it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 54 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Yep I completely agree with you chenks as would most people that have even the basic awareness of networking but some people seem to think otherwise.

Have a read of this that was linked to earlier but specifically these comments

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/revealed-expected-price-of-virgin-medias-uk-1gbps-broa...

particularly

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/revealed-expected-price-of-virgin-medias-uk-1gbps-broa...

and

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 55 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Yes beany is a fool. The samknows testing runs from inside the router so it doesn't matter what speed LAN connection it has.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 56 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Of course the Ruckus R730 isn't even a router anyway. It is just a wireless access point. It doesn't have any WAN ports.

Presumably it was plugged into whatever Virgin were using as a router.

I wonder what device they actually used.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 57 of 102
Flag for a moderator

The initial trial was to get at least 8Gbps into the home with gigabit WiFi and Ethernet. The Ruckus R730 supports 802.11ax and has the two multilink Ethernet ports for this. The R730 was connected to a Ruckus ICX 7150-C12P switch which has eight 10Gbe ports and the switch was connected to a 10G ONU.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 58 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Roger. 

So about £2000 worth of kit then

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 59 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issues as the OP and just wondering if there is anything I can do to fix it?

Using the supplied ethernet cable that came with the SH4, have a modern gaming PC so not getting bottlenecked by the CPU. Specs:

Motherboard is a ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO, LAN drivers are up to date.

CPU is a Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8Ghz. 

I've tried downloading on three different game launchers (Battle.net, Steam & Origin) and getting the same results. Download speed doesn't go above 45. Speedtest and the like are reporting anywhere from 300 - 650. Might get the odd 750+ here and there.

Samknows is reporting 1090Mbps so it doesn't seem like the router is the issue.

Any help is appriciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 60 of 102
Flag for a moderator

possible those game providers don't allow downloads at anything faster than 45Mbps?
servers can limit what they give out.
0 Kudos