Menu
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 41 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

i agree with the above. for what reason do you need the full 1Gbps to be presented to any particular device?
i see the 1Gbps package as being sufficient to supply many devices with more than enough bandwidth to not cause any issues, rather than supply it all to 1 particular device.

you would probably have to start installing corporate grade equipment to achieve what you want.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 42 of 102
Flag for a moderator

A combination of curiosity, can it be done and I don’t like throwing away bandwidth particularly for multiple clients as I want to use my own router.

The super hub 4 should have really come with a 10 gigabit port to allow those users that want to use in modem only mode access to the full.  I appreciate though this would have increased the cost of the unit.

On a single connection using super hub in modem only mode you are limited to around 930Mbps.  As you say that’s more than adequate and realistically will typically be limited by other parts of the Internet.  However you do lose 200Mbps and if you have a particularly busy environment with multiple users, then you run into this limiting factor.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 43 of 102
Flag for a moderator

If you use the super hub in modem only mode you lose out on bandwidth across all devices not just a single device, particularly if you have a down steam switch.

A lot of the higher consuming users will typically have a separate router and switches and this can’t currently achieve the marketed speed on a single port hence wanting to find a solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 44 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@ChuckMountain wrote:

A combination of curiosity, can it be done and I don’t like throwing away bandwidth particularly for multiple clients as I want to use my own router.

It might be a fun project, but not one to be undertaken lightly or cheaply... 

I've recently installed a (symmetrical) 1Gbps leased line at one of my work premises. We have a lot of enterprise level equipment (routers, servers and switches) sat behind it. Suffice to say when I analyse the traffic we are *never* maxing out the connection, or even getting close. If I swapped it to a 100Mbps leased line I doubt anyone would notice. It's nice to be future-proofed though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 45 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I agree it won’t necessarily be that cheap but it will be fun trying 🙂

Would have been easier to have a 10Gbe port as other services get oh well.  It would be even nice if you could use your own modem.

Separately have been sat on a 10Gbps line which got up to around the 6-7Gbps mark at the busiest point during the day.  That was handling a lot of users but interesting when you compare it to the Virgin 8Gbps trial

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 46 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Mark sounds like a dodgy Hub4 - not sure if that's possible they are meant to be new? If it was a 3 it might have been reused but not sure if they have used the 4's before?

I am jealous of you all getting 1Gbps at al let alone what you pay for it. I would have to part with £600 a month to get it around here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 47 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:
Mark sounds like a dodgy Hub4 - not sure if that's possible they are meant to be new? If it was a 3 it might have been reused but not sure if they have used the 4's before?

I am jealous of you all getting 1Gbps at al let alone what you pay for it. I would have to part with £600 a month to get it around here.

i thought you already said you had 1Gbps internet, just not from virgin??
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/With-1gb-lines-becoming-cheaper-and-more-available/m-p/40...

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 48 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Ok so a update on this 1GB line

I seem to be getting 900 or more on download most days BUT, the connection seems to be dropping 2 times a day, not for long maybe 5 minute so a Hub reboot time.

So with new speed connection is worse had no drops in months before this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 49 of 102
Flag for a moderator

yes Carl - as I also own 15 houses and need to kit most of them out with internet.

Sorry about that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 50 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@unhappywithmy350.

BT actually pay me to have a 100G link down to my nuclear bunker. You’re missing a trick having all them houses and actually paying money for such pathetic speeds.

0 Kudos