Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 31 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

Most network cards offload the processing if I recall. Doesn't mean bad drivers on your integrated NIC, it means you haven't got the resources via the integrated controller/cpu on top of other running apps. There was probably a buffer size change in the drivers at some point though which trades off throughput for latency. And all said this is pretty old hardware.

The idea above you should uninstall AV is ridiculous.

Upgrading to a dedicated network card is an interesting solution.

Also you won't get a much faster result. Service is provisioned as 1.1gb but Hub 4 NIC is only 1 gig, which with overheads around 950 is a pretty reasonable value. If they were using wifi you'd both be using different slices of bandwidth.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 32 of 102
Flag for a moderator

i suspect the "removing AV" was simply to carry out tests.
some AV packages to a lot more than just AV and often cause more trouble than they are worth.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 33 of 102
Flag for a moderator

What with AV today doing man-in-the-middle traffic scanning you never know.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 34 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Oh i was so waiting for this!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 35 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@happywithmy350 wrote:

Oh i was so waiting for this!

waiting for what?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 36 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I have had no issues with speeds or such since grabbing the 1gb line option that was available to me in southampton. At peak times its been doing well so far with the hub4 updated from first use and ive not even been into the configuration area of it at all yet.

Tried to post a image with the tools on forum but does not show up in post but does in edit. odd.. here is the gyzo link to it instead.

The only issue I have had is with the indian lady I spoke to getting this all done which took 2hrs btw of waiting on the phone for her to sort the upgrade to my package I already had and changed many times over the years, with that said ive never had to pay for an upgrade they were just happy I renewed my contract, my partner wanted to move over to another 1gb provider as it was MUCH cheaper, but I convinced her to stay as it would not cost anything anyhow, but silly me trusting the service provider on the phone getting it sorted she had pointed out there would be no fee's for this. Then I see they slaped a 35 pound charge on me for the priv and yet I had outages twice in last week for no reason ( was not informed ) and did not make a fuss or claim about it.

Sigh.

https://gyazo.com/f97a3df11c56e0805b153ebcc90f6ee4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 37 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Having also upgraded I am not getting near the speeds with similar speeds to others.

I initially had an issue with upgrading and the box took overnight to download the software.  To be fair though I was having an issue with my line which was due to a voltage issue but that has been resolved.

SamKnows when it is working (not at the mo) and after the voltage issue stated that I was getting just under 1.1Gbps which is fine and inline with what's expected.  However, none of the other speed tests including Speedtest.net, DSLReports.com etc have gone past 800Mbps and more likely between 500-700 ish, sometimes lower.

I know at least one of the machines is capable of hitting 930Mbps both up and down as I tested it quite recently on the back of a 10Gbit connection over a gigabit LAN.  The other machines don't have an issue with iPerf tests internally and individual cores do not hit more than 30% CPU usage when running a test.

I will attempt disconnecting the network and ensuring nothing else is on but need to choose my time wisely otherwise I get the wrath of the fortnite players...

When others are doing the tests are they getting it consistently high from a number of different local servers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 38 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Speedtest.net and DslReports give me between say 600 and 900Mbps down and 50-60Mbps up. The download does seem to vary quite a bit, but I’m happy enough with those speeds.

I’m more bothered that once or twice a day all my devices lose internet connectivity simultaneously. Rebooting the Hub4 gets them going again, but i can’t keep carrying on with it like that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 102
Flag for a moderator

After doing some testing I have found that my router an Linksys LRT224 has supposed to 900Mbps throughput which I know isn’t quite up there but should be ok.  Probably will find it is a lower number now :). I disabled all the firewall and additional stuff but it made very little difference.

I did have a mess about last night and did find the following. (Tests with speedtest.net to TNP Manchester, not necessarily the best but trying to be consistent)

1) My cabling either CAT5e or CAT6 did not make a difference, which when working correctly would be expected however given a few recent posts and swapping cables I double check

2) My main managed switch is ok

3) The Linksys is definitely a bottleneck at maxes at around 700Mbps ish depending on the client

4) Main desktop client struggles when connected directly to Super Hub 4 to get past 750Mbps (tried jumbo frames, safe mode, firewall off). It is not CPU bound and sits at around 25% individual core usage (i7 5820k @ 4.4GHz).  The Intel Ethernet builtin NIC would seem to be the limiting factor but it can quite happily do iPerf at 930Mbps between that and main server

5) A new Lenovo P52 Laptop with an i7 maxes out at 550Mbps when corrected directly to SH4, this is supposed to be a dev machine but that was tried on battery though Energy Saver set to Max Power.  Need to try again with mains power.

6) A MacBook Pro via Thunderbolt into a dock will run at around 930Mbps when connected directly to the Hub

In conclusion it would seem that speed tests do max out some of my NICs quite easily and that requires further investigation but it would appear that the SH4 is working at around the advertised speed.

The question I have now is how I go and obtain that speed in my network as to make the most of it I need to have two gigabit ports connected to the SH4 using link aggregation back to main switch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 40 of 102
Flag for a moderator

@ChuckMountain wrote:

The question I have now is how I go and obtain that speed in my network as to make the most of it I need to have two gigabit ports connected to the SH4 using link aggregation back to main switch.

What's your rationale for wanting to do this?

I suspect you would have to commit a lot of time and money to move the bottleneck from your equipment to the Hub4/G1 connection. But what would be the benefit of the cost & effort? On a domestic install I would have thought it would be vary rare that anyone would notice any practical difference between a 750Mbps max download and 900Mbps max download.

0 Kudos