Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

I also have just got the 1gb system. I have the exact same readings on the superhub and get very similar speeds. I have installed a cat7a cable what still shows the same speeds also if you use the superhub 4 as router you don't get your correct external ip address so it causes problems when setting external devices like cctv or nas
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 12 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I have also just found a spare cat6 outdoor cable I was not using and still speeds are the same, My Pc says it connected with Gbps as my whole Lan is GB.network.jpg

Still not up to speed, running out of options now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 13 of 102
Flag for a moderator

What specs are your machine? 1Gbps of traffic is quite a lot to push over the wire for TCP. I suspect if you monitor cpu usage during the test it will be maxing out the core it runs on.

In my experience your average laptop over the past few years will go up to about 600 to 700 Mbps.

Unlikely to be a cabling or hardware fault and the SH4 test proves fine to the CPE so no access link issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I, although currently at work am having similar problems and i suspect - lots of people will be - i am going to be looking into my own networking topology in the next few days

I have new cat-8 RJ45 (supposedly) cables ready to install to start trying to find the bottle neck

If your Superhub4 is in modem mode - i advise first checking that the cable between the Virgin router and your own router - is the highest spec you can get (cat 8 in my case) - then also check what wifi type your own router can send out (is it MI-MO), also check that the device your using is MI-MO too so that you can eliminate that problem...

Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 15 of 102
Flag for a moderator

cat8 is complete overkill.
cat6 is more than adequate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 16 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Cat 5e will be fine. Cat 6 will be future proof for a long time. Cat 8 is a waste of money and won't fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 17 of 102
Flag for a moderator

During speed test one core does hit 100% but the other cores go to 60% max on usage

I will admit my CPU is old, its a intel i7 2600K

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 18 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Not sure if the speed test is multi threaded, probably not, and that would appear to explain it. Not surprised a near 9 year old CPU can't handle that much traffic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 19 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I just noticed a background app stealing some CPU usage.

ran test again and cpu maxs out at 57% usage on the speed test, ran a few times to make sure. Also no idea why my screen grab is not displaying

cpumonitor.jpgcpu.jpgcpumonitor.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 20 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried a speedtest using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest (rather than speedtest.net)?

Also worth rebooting your PC just before you try it to make sure nothing else is using some resources.

0 Kudos