Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 101 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

Hi can you show a picture on how you managed to get over 940mbps as I am stuck with this speed, I was told I would be getting over a gig when they sold this to me, not sure why virgin limited the hardware to 940mbps, your help would be much appreciated as not sure what bonding ethernet is can you give a list to what we need to achieve your speeds please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 102 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

It's not so much a picture but more additional hardware specifically in my case more than £500 or so of separate routers and switches.

Virgin is not limiting the speed to 940Mbps, that is a limitation of gigabit Ethernet technology and is due to overheads involved in the protocol.  To go faster for a single connection you would have to move to 10Gbps network socket on each device.  That would push the price up significantly.

Having said that if you have two connections to the router you can get the full 1.1Gbps speed if you run them both at the same time.  Typically that is two devices but if you like me you can use an external router to do that, then you get around the limitations.

I did this partly because I was upgrading my network anyway and to see if I could or not.  It's not worth spending the money just to get the higher speed because most of the time whatever you are connected to will be slower than your connection even at ~900Mbps.  Also a number of my computers won't even get to that speed on some of the tests even though they are pretty new.

0 Kudos