How is it setup?

Is the Hub 4 in router mode?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 92 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1GB fibre but not getiing 1GB

Yep it is router mode with 3 cables connected to the ports at the moment.  They are bonded so get one IP address from the SH4.

I still need to try and work out if it will work like this in modem only mode.  Suspect not but it is on the to-do list, as is putting that IP in DMZ and disabling FW etc.

I can see the different traffic going down each of the 3 wire cables on a random round-robin config at the moment. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 93 of 102
Flag for a moderator

If the SH4 works similarly to the older hubs, only one Ethernet port is available in modem mode. It would be pretty awesome if they allowed lag groups in modem mode on the new hub to get around that issue but I’m not getting my hopes up.
I still have to wait for gig1 to come to my area too though so no opportunities to play with it for a while.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 94 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Erm, ok just tried it in modem only mode and it worked with all 3 connections...

All 3 were seeing different traffic levels going across it and with 2 disabled it speedtests hit the expected 930 or so.  Enabling the other two pushed it back up to the max 1.1Gbps or so.  I put 3 connections in as in testing with just 2 it tended to stick to one connection.

I know the behaviour of the SH3 is only one port, however I wonder if this is really the case.  Not sure how my new router is presenting itself as it has a single IP address across all 3 connections in all cases either a 192.168.1.x address or the public IP address in modem only mode.

More testing to follow as I want to check my new routers firewall is working as expected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 95 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Hmm. I wasn’t expecting that!

if you do figure out any more about how it’s presenting in modem mode, please do let us know!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 96 of 102
Flag for a moderator

The Mikrotik router config establishes the bond between the 3 and gives out the same MAC address to each port in both router and modem only mode.

Random round-robin is configured on the bond and during a speedtest typically you can see the bandwidth split between 2 of the 3 connections usually with around 2/3 to 1/3 split.  This varies but in normal use you can see different levels of traffic going through each of the bonded ports in the router menus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 97 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Hello

One of the issues I see is the default Gigabit Ethernet has a potential frame throughput of 81000 per second and therefore a high throughput for actual data (about 118 MB/s), giving efficiency of 94%, or 940Mbps. So in your case with a round robin each port will only get approx 940mbs.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 98 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Which is why you need more than one gigabit connection to the SH4 to an external router if you want to be able to use the full 1.2Gbps bandwidth VM provide.

By doing this in either router or modem only mode you can ensure that you don’t lose the nearly 300Mbps due to the 940Mbps.

My speed test from before is hitting over 1.1Gbps consistently on speed test.net and dslreports.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 99 of 102
Flag for a moderator

I’m testing wireless which I understand will affect my speeds but 22mbps download and 20mbps upload doesn’t seem right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 100 of 102
Flag for a moderator

Testing via wireless can be intermittent and will generally not get you full speed. You need to test wired with a machine that can actually cope with it.

Also, you need to give more information like how far you are away? If you are in the same room their might be a problem but who knows.

I can get 22Mbps a second down the bottom of my garden but that is to be expected and working properly. With the same device in the same room as my Wireless AP I can get north of 600Mbps 🙂
0 Kudos