cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB Connection speed issues.

Smudge2211
Joining in

Hi there,

A few months ago i signed up for the "superfast" 1Gb as i often work from home and need a reliable connection as my daughter is T1 diabetic and needs a constant connection for her meters to be monitored.

Since it was installed i get speeds of between 100mbps and 400mbps. Now while these are good speeds they are nowhere near the minimum 500mbps i was promised when i signed up.

I could live with these speeds (as they are still good in the grand scheme of things) however, even when i am getting speeds of 500mbps i still find things really slow, browsing the internet on my laptop/phone etc are painfully slow.

I had similar issues on the Smarthub 3 i previously had too. The router is roughly 6 feet away from me and still pages take an age to load. 

The only changes i have made to the hub are i changed the wifi password and split the 2.4ghz & 5Ghz signals as some of my devices (smart sockets etc) will only connect to 2.4 and i need to manually point them to the 2.4 signal.

Please can anyone help with this? I am paying a fortune for an inferior service. I have considered changing to other providers, however the best i can get in my area is around 37mbps on the phone line. but i'm sure browsing etc cant be any worse than i am getting now.

Thanks

Andy

15 REPLIES 15

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The speeds you mention are not bad for WiFi connections.  The contract price only applies to ethernet wired connections. 

If you suspect a broadband service problem, sign up for a free BQM test and post a Live Link here. We can see if there are any problems with the feed.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As in aside, do you have a standby connection available, e.g. a 4G /5G data?   Virgin broadband doesn't guarantee an unbroken connection, and it can unfortunately go down from time to time. I'm sure you will want to maintain your daughter's connection. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

crany
Superfast

also another note is the speed of the connection has little to nothing to do with reliability of the connection

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jpeg1 wrote:

As in aside, do you have a standby connection available, e.g. a 4G /5G data?   Virgin broadband doesn't guarantee an unbroken connection, and it can unfortunately go down from time to time. I'm sure you will want to maintain your daughter's connection. 

+1 for above.  VM do not have any SLA's on residential contracts.  This is why I have a backup BT FTTC circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi guys,

As it happens literally just this week the diasend app that we upload her meter to has changed so can be updated via a phone rather than a PC. So in that respect we are covered (even though 4g is woeful in our area too)

My main problems are really with browsing speeds. It can take 20 seconds to open standard webpages on WiFi. Despite having high speeds 

It seems to me it is the actual WiFi side of things that is at fault. We have the Sky box hard wired with an Etherley cable and that causes very few problems.

Its just a poor show when we we ar paying over 60 quid a month for browsing that is worse than ever.

If there are some tests I can do that would help diagnose that would be great.

Thanks.

Hi Smudge2211,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having with your broadband service. 

To confirm have you been able to test browsing over a Wired connection? If so, how was that? 

^Martin

pastorthomas
Tuning in

Hi. 

Was there a solution to this? I just signed up for 1G and the wired connection is 92mb. The wifi is 260mb. I phoned technical at Virgin and they fob me off by saying it takes 7 days for the service to settle. I can't believe it would take 7 days to get the wired connection sorted (on my new Hub 4). This was the same thing with the Hub 3. I asked for an engineer to come and do some checks, but they are reluctant until 7 days has passed.

Are there any solutions to fix a slow wired connection on Hub 4

gcarter
Superfast

Evening mate,

You have x2 issues here, one is the delay in loading web pages, which as you stated relates to the WIFI and then there is the less than stated overall speeds.
Physical bandwidth aside, would suggest we concentrate troubleshooting efforts on the latency of websites first.

From your notes, you were having similar wifi issues with the HUB3?  This gets me thinking that the problem isn't on the hub itself. 
I presume that webpage loading speeds are fine on other WIFI connections, such as at a neighbours house, or coffee shop WIFI?

Going on the assumption that your devices do load web pages faster on other WIFI connections other than your own, would lead to ruling out causes of latency in your home.  

** My first tip would be to unplug every wired device and disconnect every device, smart sockets etc from the wifi other than your laptop and then test several webpage load speeds on your laptop

** If web pages still load slowly after the first steps, make sure that the superhub is upright, that its well ventilated, so not in a cupboard or near a window, move if possible, to somewhere fairly high up, like a book shelf and re-test

** If the above suggestions are still resulting in slow webpage loading on your laptop, download a wifi analyser app like this one
https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/wifi-analyzer/9NBLGGH33N0N?hl=en-gb&gl=GB to see if your neighbours wifi is interfering with yours

Do let us know the results of the above 🙂

It's gone quiet 🤐 

Any news on the tip suggestions?