cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB Broadband - intermittent & 40MB-80MB download speed

RP11223344
Tuning in

I got the 1GB broadband on Monday as my 100MB was failing so often with work calls. At first it worked ok, was only showing 100MB download, but by today its down to 40MB, I can't watch BBC iPlayer, NOW TV, Netflix (I tested them all) without it stalling and my work calls fail. The speed is intermittent and I am back to where I was before. 

All I think VM have done is send a new shinny v4 box with more flashing lights and the same fundamental poor service continues. 

I have raised multiple complaints before and all the online service does is open and close a ticket and tell me its been resolved. The main issue I have is that VM are the only provider to my house so I have to use them.

Does anyone know how or where to complain to an actual person and hold them accountable and so some proper speed tests to prove that they have a sub-standard service and need to either fix or compensate for miss-selling?

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can yiu first test speeds like this...

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. Then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can yiu first test speeds like this...

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.

So, can you test speeds directly like this. Then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I will try this

The main point is that even if I was getting 50% of the advertised speed I would be happy, but it seems a long way off that

RP

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @RP11223344, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the slow broadband speeds, have you been able to place the hub in modem mode and run a speed test?

It may be worth also connecting any devices you have close to the hub via an Ethernet cable to lessen the traffic on Wi-Fi, and thus allow you a better connection

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

lets go back to basics - testing in modem mode and/or connecting more things wired is missing the start point imo

so in order 

do a full reset of the hub - likely to do little but gets it out of the way - surprised VM did not ask that as route 1 

and then to speed tests - how are you testing only test wired with a pc with a 1gig lan card - being sure its set to 1gig in settings and using a cat 5e cable or better

you say you were on 100 and getting 100 then initially got 100 on the hub 4 - that suggests a poor quality lan cabe or faulty one if you are testing wired

what speeds do you get on samknows https://samknows.com/realspeed/

post some stats from the hub

log into hub3/4 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

come back with answers to that and you will get some [helpful] input i am sure - certainly better than connect all/some devices wired near the hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

David

Thanks, to help a little I am not running a data centre, its myself and my one other in the property using a laptop or iPad, there really very little usage but there consistency of the service is terrible, it often drops and it is barely 100mb speed from a 1GB service.

While I moved away from ethernet to use wifi I am now having to buy a usb-c to ethernet adaptor to test and prove that this does not work

I have even tried running the "test" that VM purports to be able to run, which inceidently does not work either and will not run as it keeps asking me to sign in . . .  very very frustrating but not at all surprising from VM. 

What does VM suggest?

thanks, I will try this, although both 92.168.0.1 and 192.168.100.1 don't give me the option of router status I will try and figure it out

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @RP11223344,

Thank you for coming back to us in regards to your issue. I hope the tips and suggestions provided by the Community have been helpful!

I have been able to locate your account, and I can see that there is currently an active outage in your area that could be impacting your services. This issue is estimated to end today 21/10/21 at 15:00. 

Please keep an eye on your services and once this issue has been resolved, please let us know if you're experiencing some ongoing issues with your service.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Sadly after several weeks this is not fixed

I have connected a CAT6e cable to the Hub and to my laptop with USB-C connector and its better but not at the level it should be

I still have my calls cutting out and the capacity is far from enough to sustain a 2 or 3 family members connected to the internet

To be fair I have taken a selection of readings which show a real mixed bag of results

VM can you comment, weeks has been given to fix the supposed fault and I seem to have 25%-30% of the speed that I am paying for?

Thanks in advance

Screenshot Speed 01.pngScreenshot Speed 02.pngScreenshot Speed 03.pngScreenshot Speed 06.pngScreenshot Speed 07.png

Thanks for coming back to me us @RP11223344,

Can you please confirm if the speed tests were completed with the hub in modem mode? 

Is it possible to also run a speed test, whilst in Safe Mode?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn