Menu
CaitG
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

1G slow speeds

I initially ordered the 1G WiFi, but our engineer had a different order so had to install 350mb and a hub 3. While waiting for the correct hub 4 to be sent out for a self install, our speeds were around 280mb. 

We received our hub 4 yesterday and now are averaging between 90-170mb on our devices, the PC has a WiFi booster and the laptop used an ethernet cable. Using Sam knows speed checker we verified the hub is recieving 1080mb, we just can't get it on our devices. 

Can anyone please advise? 

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1G slow speeds

Check what www.samknows.com/realspeed says - this will let you understand the difference to the speed to your Hub and the speed within your home network, and where any issue lies.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
CaitG
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have checked again and still similar results. 1080mb to the hub, barely 80 to devices

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you do not pay for 1Gbps wifi. you pay for a 1gbps connection to the hub.
Its unlikey you will ever see 1000mbps over wifi. in fact its almost impossible wiht 802.11ac with the hub4

If you are getting the speeds wired contract fulfilled, you need to start checking your local network and wifi
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you’re getting full speeds to the hub then there’s no issues.

You need to look into optimising your WiFi and also do a speedtest with a gigabit enabled device wired direct to the hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You'll also need to check that your WiFi devices are capable of gigabit connections. Many can't. 

What sort of "WiFi booster" are you using? Many such devices will increase the range but cut the speed to less than half. 

0 Kudos