Menu
zippekat
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

15Mbps on a 150Mbps package!

I accepted low connection speeds in the early part of the lockdown, for obvious reasons. What I did expect was for VM to increase capacity in response to match the demand. Now I know that is easier said than done, but it's now been over a month and the situation is getting worse, not better.

It is now routine to start my laptop every morning and spend the first 30-60 minutes checking connection speed, struggling to get a basic service, switching networks, using my phone as hotspot, yadda-yadda-yadda.

And the VM Service Status check glibly reports "No issues ..." !!!!

All this when I'm paying (through the nose) for a purported 150Mbps service!

Speedtest result - 15Mbps 

2020-05-01 10_29_49-Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test.png

Can anyone from Virgin explain how this qualifies as acceptable service? And more to the point - are there any plans to do anything about it?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 15Mbps on a 150Mbps package!

What speeds do you get wired direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
kushik
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are quite clearly throttling download speeds. My 1 Gig service which has always given me consistently over 600Mbits on my phone has, since a couple of days ago, only managed 55Mbits......almost exactly 55

It's a little too consistent a speed (through various test) to be anything but a speed throttle being applied in the Virgin network.

Of course, Virgin are never going to admit to this even though the evidence is compelling

0 Kudos
zippekat
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Generally between 70-90 Mbps.

0 Kudos
zippekat
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Plumbing new depths today. When was the last time you saw an Upload speed higher than the Download speed?

Spoiler until image loads: 2.8 Mbps vs 7.95 Mbps

22020-05-04 10_08_47-.png

0 Kudos