Menu
Rhasta
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

100mbps plan, but averaging less than 30 with extreme ping instability and packet losses.

BQM

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7365e820e0325fa3a2bcf9650520f517ddd4cc2b

Summary: Ever since my package was updated, my internet became irratically unstable with high latency jumps and packet losses.

Things I've tried: I'm connected to the router on my desktop via powerline adaptors. I have purchased three different sets which all gave the same average result of between 15-35 mbps. I have also tested the equipment at a different household and reached over 220mbps. My router sits at the ground floor ontop of a table, near the window with no obstructions around it. I have checked the speed using my phone via wifi, as well as a laptop via ethernet cable directly connected to the router, all with similar results.

Context: I have been on and off Virgin's services for several years now. A bit over a year ago, I rejoined Virgin due to lack of choice and signed up for the 100mbps packet. I have never received anything above 50 in the entire 12 month contract duration, but because the internet was arguably stable, I neglected to complain.

When my 12 month contract was up, they wanted to charge me £49 for what is essentially 30mbps connection, so I decided to leave. After some negotiation, I got to keep my package at a reasonable price.

However, ever since then my internet service became substantially worse. I noticed changes a month or two prior to the end-of-contract, but not as obvious as this. Like clockwork, my maximum latency begins its trampoline gymnastic practice at 9am and doesn't calm down until midnight, sometimes well after. Even during the early mornings (between 2-6 am), it'll have random spikes every few minutes.

As an avid user and gamer, this disruption had since became a nightmare for my family and I. I also found myself staying up much later than usual in hopes of a stable internet, only to ruin my sleep schedule and still be frustrated.

I wanted to see if upgrading my package would change anything, but clicking on the upgrade option on the website leads to a "Oops! Something went wrong." error. (https://imgur.com/a/stO0znT)

I'll appreciate any assistance I can get, because my mood's getting as wobbly as my internet connection. I'm not sure my patience will allow me to go through another month of non-answers and "restart your router and check for a week" responses.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 100mbps plan, but averaging less than 30 with extreme ping instability and packet losses.

The BQM shows all the hallmarks of overutilisation - you need VM to say whether that is the case - I will ask them to comment back here.

Meanwhile, read Andruser's comments on that issue in message 4 here..

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Jitter-and-latency/m-p/4609932#M378967

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Rhasta
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 100mbps plan, but averaging less than 30 with extreme ping instability and packet losses.

Would that also explain why my download sometimes go to under 10?

https://imgur.com/a/vho2xKv

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rhasta, 

Thank you for your post. 

As @jbrennand has stated above here - I have been able to locate your account through your forum details and I can confirm that there is high utilisation affecting your account. The reference ticket number to this is; F008614751 and the eta fix time is 25th February at 10AM. I am sorry for the experience that you have had the team will be working hard to put this right. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos
Rhasta
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well, let me start by thanking @jbrennand for the link reference and @Ryan_N for providing a confirmation.

If it's due to the lockdown then I'll understand the circumstances, but I doubt the 25th fix date is anywhere reliable considering I've been advised of 'expected fix dates' since the first month I've been with VM and it simply changed every time I asked.

Even prior to the lockdown situation, latency aside I've gotten nowhere near 50mbps, let alone 100. Is that really just because of high utilisation?

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, Rhasta,

Unfortunately, it is due to capacity, but we are working on getting this sorted as quickly as possible.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos