Menu
Wiggy74
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

100mb during the day, less than 10mb every evening

For nearly 2 years now, I have been getting the 200mb speed I pay for during the day, but at exactly 7pm, every single evening, this drops down to less than 10mb, thats 5% of what I pay for. I have had several engineers come out throughout this time, but all come before 7pm when the Internet is working fine. Without fail, every single time they come our, they test everything,  tell me it is working fine but there is a problem in the area that will be fixed in 2 weeks. Is that just a standard response, surely it can not be coincidental? Is my service being throttled at peak times, this is what it looks like to me. I have an independent engineer coming out at the weekend to investigate as I have lost all faith in Virgin Media, they are going to test everything before and after 7pm, and if it is being throttled I will be reporting VM as this is shocking service. Seriously 2 years this has been going on, we just can't stream, play online or anything in the evenings or weekends.

david656
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 100mb during the day, less than 10mb every evening

Hi Sorry to hear this, really am. I'm another VM customer with similar issues. 

Where in the UK are you based, I've found 2 people in the Bristol BS37 area with this issue and I'm intrigued to find out how wide this issue is.

I'll also be interest to see what the independent person finds. Can you explain who they are and how they're going to test it?

0 Kudos
Wiggy74
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I am based in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN4, so seems a lot wider an issue than I first thought.

I will post the results when they have performed the tests, but I don't know exactly how they do the testing. It is a local company to me who saw my complaint to VM on Facebook and offered his services FOC to investigate for me as he has had several customers complain re VM and says 90% of the time they can locate exactly where the fault lies. I will have to pay them if they do any work to fix the problem, but I will be claiming this back from VM if they solve the problem that several VM engineers have failed to find.

david656
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That is very very interesting.

I work in IT as a career and obviously have a decent understanding of network equipment and my internal network. all my clients are hard cabled. I just cannot believe the issue is internal - especially when I have found someone in the exact same postcode area as me, with the exact same automated message when they call Virgin and the exact same fault!

It just seems to me their network is over subscribed and congested and they need to seriously up their game and reinvest the hard earned cash the customers are paying rather than lining the big wigs pockets.

Please do update your thread with the results. It will be interesting to see what tests they can do on the Virgin line coming into the property and their equipment.

0 Kudos
Wiggy74
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree, it is too much of a coincidence.  The fact that I get full speeds during the day with more devices connected tells me it is something they are doing, like throttling in peak hours. I know they say they don't, but hopefully this independent engineer will get me some answers this weekend. Even BT can guarantee me speeds of 45mb at peak times.

david656
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You know, don't laugh, I'm considering getting a second line installed (BT) and having auto fail over on my firewall when the speed dips below a certain threshold - because i'm so fed up.
Brizzlemind
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I’m in the BS37 area and am having this issue. I been told by an engineer it’s due to the cabinet being overloaded with customers. Apparently this was supposed to have been fixed 19th Jan but is still the same. 

david656
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Morning Brizzlemind,

That's amazing and terrible news at the same time, without trying we have now found 3 people in the BS37 area with the exact same problem. Email  [removed] I'm just drafting a VERY lengthy email to him (head of complaints) and demanding answers You can also raise an independent complaint and if possible I would like to add you to my complaint also. This is clearly a wider issue that Virgin Media will not address!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Brizzlemind
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response. Seems to be an issue in BS37 if some others also have it. I will be following up with a complaint, it is not good enough and been like it for months now. What I find even more frustrating is they want to put my bill up an extra £3.50 per month. Shocking when they can’t deliver a reliable service. 
I am happy for you to add me to your complaint. 

Mummy3
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

i joined in September ultimate package promised 516mbg but I have exactly the same problems since. I can’t get anywhere with calls and emails. They keep charging me £79 a months. Starting work from home in February and it’s evening work exactly when the all internet cuts off. 
don’t know what to do. It’s frustrating and upsetting isn’t it.