cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100Mbps upload!

chrisstenton
Joining in

Just done a speed test on my 1G connection. 970Mbps download and 102Mbps upload. When did they double the upload speed!

24 REPLIES 24

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I don't believe they have, officially. They have been quietly trialling faster speeds in the field for years now, and assuming that the speed test you've done is accurate, I'm guessing that you're benefiting from one of these trials.  If that's the case, make the most of it because there's a good chance it'll disappear as quickly and quietly as it arrived.

I'd guess that the plan is to launch a faster 1.5 or 2.2 Gbps tier as they've already trialled faster download in many areas now, and when that goes live as a product it will feature a higher price, and the 100 Mbps upload.  You'll certainly hear about it when they want you to get your wallet out, and I'll wager they won't be giving 100Mbps upload as a freebie.  

Go into the Hub's Router status >> Configuration menu,  look at the Upstream Max Traffic Rate.

Does it reflect a 100Mb/s service speed ?

@Andrew-G wrote:

I'd guess that the plan is to launch a faster 1.5 or 2.2 Gbps tier as they've already trialled faster download in many areas now, and when that goes live as a product it will feature a higher price, and the 100 Mbps upload.  You'll certainly hear about it when they want you to get your wallet out, and I'll wager they won't be giving 100Mbps upload as a freebie.  

That wager isn't ending well for you. 

No change here, 100mb is still slow but it's better than 52.

Ours is in modem mode. Does not give that information. Just the DOCSIS

Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (Hz) Modulation Potencia (dBmV) Channel BandWidth
1 43100000 64QAM 39.770 6
2 30100000 64QAM 40.270 8
3 36600000 64QAM 40.520 7
4 49600000 64QAM 40.520 5
5 23600000 64QAM 40.520 11

You don't see:

Oh look ... "Modulation Potencia"

English and Spanish - another winkle to fix at the end of the Customer Beta !

I don't need to login to the Hub's menus to see the Configuration info - but my earlier Hub may be different.

@IPFreely wrote:

@Andrew-G wrote:

That wager isn't ending well for you. 

Possibly not, but I'll stand my ground until proven otherwise.  I've never seen any permanent speed increase that was not pre-announced by VM.  What I have repeatedly seen is people able to demonstrate much higher speeds than their contract - but they've been brought back to the contracted value when VM's trials ended.   I suppose they could have this planned to match the Openreach 900/110 product at no additional cost to the Gig 1 pricing (and then claim that the VM 1.1 Gbps product is superior) but even then, VM are sales and marketing led, why would they ever slip out a speed or performance benefit without making a big song and a dance about it?  The recent 100>125 and 200>250 freebie was well publicised in advance.