I've generally had a fairly stable broadband connection with the obvious total failures from time to time.
My main problem at the moment is the upload speed. I'm struggling to get more than about 1.0Mbps while download is > 100Mbps.
I'm running a wired network with the hub in modem mode.
Anything obvious here:
Cable Modem StatusItem Status Comments
Downstream bonded channels
Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Primary Upstream Service Flow
Time Priority Description
One of your upstream channels is out of spec (All channels should be 64 qam), which could explain your slow upload speed:
I finally got through to tech support after an hour who tell me there is a broken wire on the line which is causing noise. ETA for resolution of this issue is Friday.
@ringzer wrote:I finally got through to tech support after an hour who tell me there is a broken wire on the line which is causing noise. ETA for resolution of this issue is Friday.
At least they found a 'fixable' issue!
Yep, I was shocked that they actually found a "real" issue other than the usual non-descript issue.
Only problem is that there are no service faults listed on their website...