Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

10 Mbps on computer but 210mbps on phone?

So just had Virgin Installed and im looking on all the wireless devices and seeing that they have 210Mbps speeds from a speed test but when i come to use a laptop or a computer and run the same speed test it goes down to around 10mbps 

can anyone help as i have to work from home and cant be having slow speeds?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: 10 Mbps on computer but 210mbps on phone?

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

so when its plugged in as you said im getting:

196mbps download

20mbps upload

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I take it you are on the 200Mbs contract ?

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

i am indeed on the 200mbs contract. 

do you think a booster would help in any way? i think virgin supply one

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Unless you are on the 1Gbs / Hub 4 service you have to pay for the 'Boosters' and you would be better off spending that money on better more powerful equipment.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

okay,

any suggestions for the problem im facing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Some thoughts I have posted before
---------

Depending on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£60-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router or Wireless Access Point - but these 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but then spending up to ~£500 will get the Rolls Royce solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system. You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users for a good Mesh system, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have figured out the problem,

basically to sum it up my office is a dead spot for the network, done some speed tests around the house and getting 200+ in different locations apart from my office which is only 10mbps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can you easily run an ethernet cable from the Hub to the office? If so that and a WAP would be the best and a cheap solution.

EDIT: Another thought if your electrical circuitry is good enough a pair of decent wifi powerline adapters might do it.  Look at the Devolo range - thay are good quality albeit a bit pricey though 😀

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos