cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 month in and not getting full speed

keithsb
Joining in

I recently upgraded from 500mb to 1gb, I have recently purchased Netgear Orbi and the speed from the virgin router wired is not getting the full speed, even wiring up to my laptop never goes past 800mb.

I used to get full 500mb speed when on the 500mb package, so why am I not getting the full 1gb.

I called VM 2 weeks ago and they done tests and stated nothing wrong with it, the lady even said well it’s fast….if I pay for something though, should I not get what I pay for.

not sure if can tell anything from the pictures 

80CF32A9-7BD8-400A-BDB1-813B031C3830.png

41A65185-CE63-4658-85B0-E5687873BC1D.png

60B34951-A026-4E33-95BD-5953B83ED7A1.png

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Most you get is 940Mb.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

The lady even said "well, it's fast". I suppose it exceeds the contractual minimum speed and as mentioned above until the hub 5 is rolled out you will be restricted to 940 mbs. 

Usual advice with third party routers is to disable QoS and universal beamforming. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

<snip>   until the hub 5 is rolled out you will be restricted to 940 mbs. 

Even with the Hub 5 all Gigabit ethernet will still top out at about 940mb.   You will need to upgrade to 2.5Gb or 10Gb ethernet to get the full 1GB speeds.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @keithsb,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your speeds! I understand that this might be quite frustrating.

You can take a look at our Minimum Expected Speeds on our website to see what minimum speeds you should be getting. 

Can you please try rebooting your Hub? This can sometimes push through some updates and help with speeds. I can see that your uptime is currently showing as over 64 days, so a reboot would be good for the system.

You can also take a look at our Speed Up page to see if this can help with the speeds.

Keep us updated on how you get on and if you need any further assistance.

Thank you. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ozsat
Superstar

You are best using this site - https://samknows.com/realspeed/ - to check your VM speed.

That will tell you what you router gets and that is what you pay for.

You will not got more than 940Mbs on any single device - and a lot of devices will struggle with that.

Some browsers have issues too.

@keithsb wrote:

I recently upgraded from 500mb to 1gb, I have recently purchased Netgear Orbi and the speed from the virgin router wired is not getting the full speed, even wiring up to my laptop never goes past 800mb.

I used to get full 500mb speed when on the 500mb package, so why am I not getting the full 1gb.

I called VM 2 weeks ago and they done tests and stated nothing wrong with it, the lady even said well it’s fast….if I pay for something though, should I not get what I pay for.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5