Menu
Rfhead
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

1 gigabit service

Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (1).png

pictures speak a thousand words, never even hit the guaranteed speed once since having the service

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1 gigabit service

wired or wireless?
0 Kudos
Rfhead
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Around 95% wired and 5% over WiFi 

virgin hub in modem  mode and running into a 

Linksys Max-Stream AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit Wi-Fi Router ea9500

And I have also tried hard wired straight into the virgin hub in modem mode from the pc speed doesn’t improve 

0 Kudos
Tattyfield
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought. On the Linksys router, have you set QOS or given a device priority of service? I had issues where my systems was getting low speeds, like yours, when running in modem mode. I had given a NAS priority of service. Disabling it gave me full speeds, although not 1Gbps like you are subscribing to.

0 Kudos
Rfhead
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well this is why I did a hard wire connection from the pc to the main virgin modem to cut out my router all together and I was still getting the same speeds.

I did a number of speed tests to various servers and the speeds were roughly the same as when my router was in line.

I will try what you have recommended on my router and see if this improves things in anyway and report back, as anything is worth a try 

thanks

jay

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Two options:

1) Put the hub in router mode, run a series of the built in SamKnows speed tests, if you're still seeing any low speeds, phone up customer services, report it under the minimum speed guarantee.  You're evidently tech-savvy, so you'll be well placed to politely deflect any hogwash about it being your wifi, too many devices, needs to settle in, or other garbage that we sometimes hear people are told.  Personally I'd rather visit the dentist than have any dealing with VM by telephone, but it is an option.

2) Don't phone in, but do check the SamKnows speed test on the hub as that'll be useful info for diagnosing whether the problem is on the cable modem side of things or the router side.  Then go into the hub's settings, copy and paste (as text) the hub's status data for Downstream, Upstream and Network log as text (not screenshots) into replies here  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts, if there's a problem the helpful forum staff can get it resolved without you having to speak to the third world and run through a series of scripted checks you've done many times already and know won't work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

archercj
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Agree with Tattyfield - I have Asus Mesh and Gig1 and when I had QoS on my speed was around 250Mbps. Switch that off and it was back up to the expected c920Mbps. I reckon QoS has an impact on some of these routers CPU.

Also ensure (I know this is a broken record playing here) that you test using a device wired directly to your 'live' router.

And regarding what you use for speed test especially when using a 3rd party router and having the Virgin hub in modem mode ensure you use a reliable speed test site. Many on line speed tests sites are not geared up to the higher speeds and can produce unpredictable results. Use something like proof.ovh.net (which can also be installed as an app on your phone for checking wifi speeds) or thinkbroadband.com. I found their results very reliable.

Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A further thought - as a short term thing only, I'd suggest you put the hub in router mode, turn off the wifi, and switch your Linksys to access point mode.  VM staff can only remotely query the hub's status when in router mode, by using hub router mode and Linksys in AP, they can do that, you'll have the wifi quality you want, and not need to fiddle with all your wifi device settings or keep repeatedly swapping the hub mode.  

When this is resolved you then flip the hub back into modem mode and the Linksys into full router mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos