cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 gig service speeds on Hub 4.

dog-man
On our wavelength

I currently have the 500 service, but have received an email telling me that the 1Gig service is now available in my area.

I believe that I have a hub 4. I have read reports that the Hub 4 cannot achieve the full speed of the 1 Gig service. Is this correct?

If and when I sign up for this faster service will I be issued with the new Hub 5, which can cope with the faster speed.

30 REPLIES 30

dog-man
On our wavelength

So, a Hub 5 would deliver that extra speed then?

@dog-man wrote:

So, a Hub 5 would deliver that extra speed then?

You will have to ask them.

Extra speed yes, but the vast majority of people won't notice if they got it as what they typically download is way lower than 1Gbps. In any case almost nobody has the equipment to deal with speeds greater than 1Gbps.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I have the equipment to deal with speeds above 1 Gig not including the Hub 4.

Are you sure?

Your Asus router has 1 x 2.5g port does it not?

That means you can have a hub 5 (that you can't get) connected to it as the wan.

Then what? Every other port is 1g.

Speed outgoing via any of the ethernet ports will be 945mb.

You're welcome.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
One could say your GT-AX11000 was a waste of money by not putting the 2.5Gb as the WAN but you be still limited by 1Gb ports LAN unless you have two PC downloading at the same time.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@dog-man If you're on 500 Mbps, and you see a personal need or desire for Gig 1, then is it really a big deal that due to the 1 Gbps ports you won't see 15% of the ultimate 1.16 Gbps speed potential?  You'd still be getting almost double your current speeds.

If you'd consider but then reject the near doubling of current speed merely because there is slight further potential that can't be tapped, then logic says you don't actually need 1 Gig, or 1.16 Gig, or 2 Gig or any higher speed.

Wolfclaw
Superfast

If you know what your doing, it is possible to get best out of the Hub 5.

For example if I was to do it, I would connect the hub 5 to my routers native 2.5G port, and my wifi 6 devices can definitely take advantage.

If I wanted a cable based connections, then I would buy 2.5G USB3 dongles, add the drivers to the linux kernel if not supported natively and eventually I probably would hit a ceiling that the router can't handle.

Also, you still have the option of bonding 2x1G ports, as Windows NICs cheap for these.

------------------------------------------------
Gig1 Package
Hub v4 Modem Mode
Asus RT-AX86U
2.5G CAT 7 LAN
Windows Server 2022

My Broadband Ping - Wolfclaw-BBM1

Your GT-AX11000 router supports WAN and LAN bonding according to the Asus site. Which simply means you take 2 ethernet cables from the hub 4 and plug them into your Asus router which then gives you up to 2 gig. Simples...

I'm currently looking at a Asus RT-AX86U, as on that, you can bind 2x Wan together and use the 2.5g port as an output to a 2.5g switch. Not sure if your router is the same, but might be worth looking at in your router settings.

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

Your GT-AX11000 router supports WAN and LAN bonding according to the Asus site. Which simply means you take 2 ethernet cables from the hub 4 and plug them into your Asus router which then gives you up to 2 gig. Simples...

I'm currently looking at a Asus RT-AX86U, as on that, you can bind 2x Wan together and use the 2.5g port as an output to a 2.5g switch. Not sure if your router is the same, but might be worth looking at in your router settings.

Have you got it to work on yours?