Menu
sirreal1984
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

1-3mbps upload on M200 line (N5)

I have 1-3mbps upload most of the day on a M200 service in N5; speeds at night are only as high as 4-6mbps.  Virgin Media's advertised typical upload speed for this service is 21 mbps.  I have had this problem for several weeks but didn't want to trouble Virgin Media during Covid-19 and so held off reporting to Virgin Media.  However, the problem has now severely impacted my own ability to work remotely for some weeks now.  So on 5 June enough was enough and I contacted Virgin Media to ask for a fix.

On 5 June Virgin Media told me that it was an area-wide issue that would be resolved on 8 June.  It hasn't yet been resolved.  Between 5 June and 10 June, on many days, Virgin Media advertises a fault on their service status page with a fix promised by 18:00 that night.  At 18:00 the fault is marked as resolved.  However, upload speeds at night are, as mentioned above, only 4-6mbps which is still well below the contractual obligation, and simply deteriorate to 1-3mbps again the next day.

My last contact was with Virgin Media on 10 June to lodge a formal complaint; I was told that they would accept it but close it by taking no action and would send me a formal letter to confirm this, as the issue was an intermittent area-wide SNR issue.  They also said that for the above reasons no compensation would be payable. 

In truth (a) the problem is chronic, not intermittent (see facts above) and (b) compensation is payable because the service level is consistently falling short of Virgin Media's contractual obligation.  I may even be eligible for compensation for distress and inconvenience due to the poor handling of my complaint.

I'd much rather Virgin just resolved the problem than have to take this to CISAS adjudication (or Twitter), which ultimately would consume time and resources for both Virgin and me which would be better spent addressing the issue at its source.  I would be very grateful for any help that the Virgin reps on this forum can provide and am really appreciative in advance of your efforts!  I know this is a difficult and stressful time for you and your help is really valued.  Thank you!

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1-3mbps upload on M200 line (N5)

HI sirreal1984, we are sorry to hear about the issues which you have been having with the service and want you to get this resolved. We understand that this was an issue with signal noise ratio and aim to get such issue as soon as we can. We this is not a total loss of service a credit would not usually be applied. Can you confirm if you are still having issues with the service? If so, we will be able to look in to this further for you. If they have been resolved then let us know if anything changes? Chris. 

0 Kudos
sirreal1984
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris and thank you very much for this.  I really appreciate you getting back to me!

The problem is persisting and I've been running speed tests every day or couple of days to show this.  During the day on the weekdays upload is slow enough, especially in the afternoons, to interrupt basic connectivity for tasks as simple as loading low-size and low-bandwidth webpages (causing timeouts within my web browser).  This is in effect a total loss of service and as such should entitle me to compensation.

I would be very grateful if you would do what you can to look into this - many thanks again!

0 Kudos
nicktooley
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi - I'm having very similar problems, my download speed this evening is between 1.16 and 3.46, I've been out all day so don't know how long it's been this slow. It's not the first time so I'll be interested to see how you get on. Good luck.
0 Kudos
MrKunle
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm in a similar situation in N1 (minus the formal compliant). After an outage on the 19th when service was restored my upload speed has been between 0.4 - 2mbps during the day and 2 - 4mbps during the night.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi sirreal1984,

Sorry to hear this is still ongoing. Having a look at your connection it's still showing as an SNR fault which the engineers are still working on [ref# F008024637] the ETA on this shows as 24-JUN.

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos
sirreal1984
Tuning in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Corey.  I've waited until after the ETA of 24 June that you indicated.  Unfortunately, as with several previous faults I've seen raised in respect of my area over the last few weeks with promised ETAs on resolution, the problem has not been fixed after the ETA has passed. 

Interestingly my connection runs at 20mbps upload (my contracted speed) at 8am but by only 9.30am today it has fallen to 3.75mbps.  No doubt it will fall further in the afternoon, as it has done on previous days.  Very grateful for any action you can take to resolve this issue!

I note that I'm also awaiting the formal letter I requested from Virgin a couple of weeks ago that confirmed that Virgin would take no action in response to my formal complaint on this; ideally I would need this to refer to CISAS but will proceed to CISAS without it if there is further significant delay receiving this letter.  I was told it would take 3-5 business days plus additional time for Covid-19-related Royal Mail delays - this additional time has now passed, which means Virgin may well not have issued the letter in good time and therefore is in breach of its complaints policy.

Thanks again - I know you're busy - and I'm really looking forward to my connection meeting my contracted speed again - anything you can do to move this forward would be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi sirreal1984,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to see that you're currently experiencing issues with your broadband services.

We are aware of an outage that is currently effecting areas of London and we're doing everything we can to resolve this issue

We apologies for the inconvenience this has caused 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
sirreal1984
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks David_Bn.

My broadband service today is still well under contracted upload speeds, with an Ookla test just now reporting 4mbps (one fifth of the speed that I am paying for).  Very grateful for any help that you can provide.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi sirreal1984

Sorry to hear your upload speeds aren't what you should be getting.  Can I ask how you're testing?  Is this via a wired or wireless connection?

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos