Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

virgin media community profile security violation

security violation-urgent - action required/advice ASAP

Public Image 

On Tuesday somebody added a public image to my VM communityprofile which is "not my image".

I have not added this image which is a jpeg with my community name

I can delete this I presume but have left it there until forum advise about this

As my password is 20 digits it would be almost impossible for hacking unless the images has been added by virgin.

I never publish  my image on any web site, but this is not my image but has my community name as part of the file name.

Please explain how this is possible. The image may belong to another person   but how has it been added to my profile withe a file name ALF28_**************.jpeg ( for security have not printed file name)

Is this a security violation, who has got into my account????

do I need to change my community password???

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Possible hacking

How secure is the vm community account???

on Tuesday a public image was added to my community account, possibly by Virgin/others

Yet I am not aware of this event and do not recognise the image of an unknown person added to my photos in my profile

I have posted earlier and am awaiting a reply from the virgin forum members.

It is not virgin who run the community, it is a third party service so may not be as secure as virgin????

has anyone has issues with the VM community  security?

The public picture in my profile under photos is not me, but an unknown person!!!!!!!!??????

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media do run this community but it operates on a platform provided by a company called Khoros.

I have alerted the Moderators to your other post regarding profile images, so they should respond in due course.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

thanks sent you a post but it was blocked

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The unknown image added to my account is unknown, so belongs to "another unknown person", so should not be in my profile, do I need  to delete the image or await a reply from the moderators, it is in the public, not hidden or could I hide it.

I am not sure how it got there???  wrong sex and age, not my image. I Do not recognise the person in the image.

I am not sure how long moderators will take to sort it. It is not attached to the logo.

passsword changed.

0 Kudos
Kev_B
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ALF28,

Sorry to hear there's been an image uploaded without your knowledge. The image doesn't seem to originate from any action taken by us. I've had a look on the admin logs and the image appears to have been uploaded using a UK-based IP address that we've seen you signed in with tonight.

You can view all the IP addresses associated with your forum account by going to Edit profile (from the dropdown next to your username in the top right), and selecting the Personal information section. There do seem to be a few non-UK addresses which I'd encourage you to check. It's not uncommon to see this for anybody using a VPN, but if you don't use a VPN when accessing the forum I'd strongly recommend changing the password you use for the community and changing it if you use the same password anywhere else.

There isn't any evidence to suggest the forum platform has been subject to unauthorised access so it's more likely somebody has obtained the information by other means if there has been a login by somebody other than yourself. Rest assured the forum is just a singular account like with any other online forum, the forum system isn't tied into any of the details used for your Virgin Media account.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the investigation, still a mystery , sure that I did not add this but have changed password for my community account

I have used a free vpn in the past so that would explain the ip addresses but stopped using this at the moment

It is possible the password may have leaked somehow, will do virus checks to make sure.

That is the odd thing that the image is nobody I know.

The steps to add an image require uploading from stored files so unlikely a glitch or wrong press could have done that.

REMOVAL OF unknown person's IMAGE-how-please advise

As the image is not mine how do I get it removed, can not see an option to remove the image or change from public to hidden

As the image belongs another person I should not display the public  image in my account without permission another person, so can you remove all my images.

Any advice on that one, if I was hacked then it needs removing under data regulations, it should only be only my own image or logo displayed, I have never put my image on the community. (I did not publish this image must have been hacked or password leaked and someone messed with my account)

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ALF28  Pleased that the Community Lead has responded to your worries.

With regards to deleting the image, if you go to your profile account and select My photos you should be able to select and delete the rogue image.

If this option is not available post back so it can be followed up further.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Graham _A

There is no option to remove the image ref   ALF28_0-1597749353076.jpeg   which is of a young lady wearing glasses with long hair.

I did not create or name this file, it just appeared last Tuesday, uploaded form my virign ip address, yet nobody uses my computers except me in my own house.

The only option given is batch processing to twitter,facebook etc, If I right click image there is no delete option

Can you get it removed. I see no way to remove it when selecting the image, must be read only?

checked the ip addresses , the only one I did not recognise was a uk isp   NFOrce Entertainment B.V.  in the uk (this on not recognised)

when using a vpn for a short period all connections were Amsterdam not uk. Stopped using free vpn as they can use your computer to send data

surely there must be a way to delete images in your own profile??, even though they are published?? or not???

not even an option to change from public to hidden. It is not my image to display. someone else has put it there not me.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm surprised that you don't have the ability to delete the image. As the account holder I would have thought this would be possible.  Perhaps @Kev_B  could comment when he is next on shift.

That said, it seems as I have certain image moderation rights as a VIP Community member, I have been able to delete the image.  I didn't expect this to be the case, again something for Kev_B to address.