Menu
vfish
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

spambot Letter

Roughly every 4 months (this is the third time) we get a very generic letter saying spam emails are coming from a device using our internet connection.

I've virus scanned everything and followed all the instructions here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Left it running the log for days - nothing.

Got Virgin media to send me a new hub as we were eligible for an upgrade, changed every password and passcode...

Totally at a loss what else to do but don't appreciate being periodically threatened with disconnection without being given enough information to find out what is wrong!

Grateful for any ideas!

0 Kudos
northernlass16
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: spambot Letter

I have the same letter, and the same as for you, it's threatening to disconnect my broadband if I don't sort this out.  I'm not an IT boffin who knows the ins and outs of these kind of things. 

I did an extensive and very long scan last night to remove anything that could possibly be lurking.  I've followed the guidance re looking up to see if there's anything being forwarded on my Virgin Media email and its drawn a blank - Nothing. 

I'm now in the process of changing all my passwords. 

Like you, I don't appreciate the tone of the letter. It implies that I'm a cyber criminal, and after all these years of being a Virgin customer I expect a little more respect - and assistance! 

0 Kudos
Andy2110
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can you confirm any of the following:

• Do you have any Nvidia or android tv boxes?
  • Do you have any IPTV streaming devices on any wireless or wired device?
  • Do you use Mobdro?
  • What apps do you have installed on any android or apple tv boxes?
  • What apps do you have installed on any smart TVS

i recently found that Mobdro had created issues for a few people and was sending out these Spam issues and were being blocked in one way or another via their ISP.

Might be worth checking and deleting any of the ''Illegal streaming apps'' and rechecking on the CBL list

0 Kudos
vfish
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry for the delay in replying and appreciate your help.

The only streaming devices we have are the Virgin media TiVo and a Panasonic DVR with only the original apps on it (Freeview play, Netflix and Amazon Prime).

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for taking the time to post @vfish 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with receiving these emails. 

I can take a further look into this for you, I will need to drop you a PM so that I can get some account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos