Menu
Bryzza
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

scammers

This afternoon I received a call from Virgin Media security to discuss how my internet had been hacked. Only it was a scam. I am usually quite good at sensing this sort of thing but today my sense departed me.

They managed to access my bank and showed my suspicious withdrawals from my account.

False. Only the brilliant TSB call-centre handler sensed that something was wrong, and his questions made me think about just what I was doing. Depositing £4500 in a ghost account to con a conman.

Fortunately at the eleventh hour I realised the error I was making and hung up my phone and unplugged my laptop.

My bank account is safe and secure and locked, so even I can't get access. I am awaiting a new debit card as well( just in case )    These people were good and I ask that anyone receiving a call regards your internet to doublecheck to be on the safe side.

I can't believe how foolish I was and hope nobody else is as daft as me.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: scammers

'hope nobody else is as daft as me'

as an anti scammer i can assure you there are many more who are dafter. even when they are told it is a scam they refuse to believe it. one person blamed me and whined that had i said nothing then it wouldn't have been a scam!.

if they gained access to your laptop (team viewer or other remote software) then do a virus and malware check to be as sure as you can they left no nasties behind.
Bryzza
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: scammers

Don't worry about that(team viewer etc). First thing the lad at TSB told me was to turn everything off wifi connected and take my laptop to Currys for a good steam clean. I have malwarebytes loaded anyway, so I removed any unusual apps and did a total scan with that and then with windows defender. I don't intend to use that laptop again for any banking etc just to be on the safe side.

Odd thing is, shortly after my close call with the scammer I started to receive odd emails regards Norton being out of date ( I actually ditched Norton about 3 or 4 years ago) and various emails regarding sales I had made to various online sellers. All bogus of course, but I still receive the odd email request.

The Indian bloke knew all about my online issues, or maybe it was just a good guess, and told me about everything I had been complaining about to Virgin Media. Virgin Media have been telling me that they have been unable to contact me, but haven't been too keen to leave any messages on my answer machine regarding the issues I had been asking about. I would hate to think that somebody has access to the forum site and is gleaning everyone's details as potential targets.

Thanks for email. Stay safe, in more ways than one at the moment.

0 Kudos