Menu
mario3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

scammer call

WARNING JUST GOT A CALL FROM TEL.003578676xxx  A LADY SOUNDED FROM INDIA , SAYING THEY WERE FROM VIRGIN MEDIA... SECURITY. ABOUT MY INTERNET. AS IV HAD A FEW NOW. I SAID I DONT HAVE INTERNET ... WHO ARE YOU LOL.. KNOWING IT WAS A SCAMMER. THEN SHE STARTED CALLING ME ALL KINDS OF ABUSIVE LANGUAGE. TILL I HANG UP ON HER . THEY KNOW MY NUMBER IS A VIRGIN MEDIA NUMBER. THIS IS THE 4TH IN ABOUT 3 MOUNTHS. NOT GOOD. HOW DO THEY GET THESE NUMBERS?

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: scammer call

Hi mario3,

Thanks for reaching back out to us in our community and welcome back, sorry to hear you are getting scam calls, these type of calls actually call everyone regardless of which company they may call you at some point saying they are BT they don't generally have detail but try to fish for it, because most of these number are cloned there isn't a way to block them.

You can find out more around Spam and Phishing calls/ Emails here.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@mario3 wrote:

HOW DO THEY GET THESE NUMBERS?

Providers are issued blocks of numbers on every exchange in the country by OFCOM. Lists of these allocations are freely available on the OFCOM website. So all the scammers do is download these & call all the numbers in a block pretending to be the provider that has been allocated that block. Unless you have ported your number, if your number is in one of the blocks allocated to VM, they will ring assuming you are a VM customer. Simple.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
kirk1690
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Me too ,this morning .

0 Kudos