Menu
BarbaryApe
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

scam landline call

Husband received landline call saying internet would gp off in 4 hours. press 1 and go check bars on router.  he did press 1 but phone dead when he got back to it.  he took a while.  Are there any

repercussions from having pressed 1?   Worried we are now conncted and paying someone elses calls.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: scam landline call

@BarbaryApe wrote:

Husband received landline call saying internet would gp off in 4 hours. press 1 and go check bars on router.  he did press 1 but phone dead when he got back to it.  he took a while.  Are there any

repercussions from having pressed 1?   Worried we are now conncted and paying someone elses calls.

These are scam calls & just about everyone with a landline has been getting them. Just hang up without saying anything. If they realise there is a real person answering they tend to ramp up the calls. NEVER press any buttons the calls ask you to as this can lead to you being transferred to a premium rate number.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The problem when pressing 1 (to speak to an advisor) can often connect you to a premium rate number which you’ll be paying for.
Is the phone still dead or do yo now receive a dial tone?

I’d check your phone bill for any unusual charges.

0 Kudos
BarbaryApe
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Have got a dial tone.  Will check bill

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Miscreants will try to induce victims into calling a premium rate number; the implication being that they cannot simply trick the recipient of the call into pressing a key to defraud them via premium rate line charges.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos