cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scam call

mia7
Joining in

We get daily harassing calls, another just now which flags up as belonging to Gamma Telecom Holdings call centre in London. Indian voice with little English stating he was "Calling from Virgin Media ..."  Why can't Virgin offer either a call blocking service or actively trace and prosecute this deluge of scam callers? We have to keep an answerphone on and rarely answer as there are daily calls. Telling someone to 'text number to action fraud' does NOT help us.

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@mia7 wrote:

We get daily harassing calls, another just now which flags up as belonging to Gamma Telecom Holdings call centre in London. Indian voice with little English stating he was "Calling from Virgin Media ..."  Why can't Virgin offer either a call blocking service or actively trace and prosecute this deluge of scam callers? We have to keep an answerphone on and rarely answer as there are daily calls. Telling someone to 'text number to action fraud' does NOT help us.

VM's landline service has no useful means to deal with this kind of call. You have to put in DIY measures such as

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

which screen out the scam calls.

Some BT phones have a 'lite' version of trueCall built in at a lower cost. There are, however, some issues with BT phones and the Hub 5 for VM customers using that hub.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is no point blocking these numbers. They are cloned from genuine businesses & customers using VoIP software that has completely legitimate uses. Virgin would only end up blocking the legitimate numbers users if they did. These calls originate from India, & our outdated & shortly to be replaced PSTN telephone networks are not capable of end-to-end authentication that would be needed to stop these calls.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks