Menu
bevvydrink
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"i have had several calls in the last 24 hours saying my router is corrupt.

"i have had several calls in the last 24 hours saying my router is corrupt. they have called from the following numbers 02920496781 and 01822958445 can someone confirm if these are actually from virgin ?"

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: "i have had several calls in the last 24 hours saying my router is corrupt.

Hello

Certainly those phone numbers are not from Virgin media, it is scam where the scammer has cloned a valid number, and more than likely using an auto dialer to call numbers in a block.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They are not from Virgin and are just a scam. Best just to ignore them and hang up if you get any more.

0 Kudos
bevvydrink
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

ok so now im worried

they told me i had an engineer calling on monday, even gave me a name and passcode

they even convinced me into doing things on my laptop, saying the could confim they were from virgin by repeating a number that showed up on my laptop

could i suggest if this is a scam that virgin email their customers to warn them as i would not like to think this could happen to anyone else

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do not engage with callers unless absolutely sure of their identity ― if in doubt tell them you will contact them via their published contact details; no reputable organisation would object to this.

Do you recall what actions the miscreant conned you into doing on your laptop? Try to make a note of these in case you need to refer to them later.

Did you provide them with (remote) access to your laptop and/or install any software at their behest?

Are you in a position where you could restore your laptop from backups?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@bevvydrink : ok so now im worried.....they even convinced me into doing things on my laptop,

You should be worried.  This sounds like a standard confidence trick to get access to a user's computer to steal account credentials (email, ISP, bank, whatever) or to place malware on the machine (install a spam sending program, install ransomware that encrypts your files).  And it may be that you are at risk of identity theft.

Change all passwords you have for online services, keep a regular check on your credit history for the next few months, and if you use online banking, contact the bank and see if they can offer any advice.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos