cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible Scam phone call

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

OK, so, 08:30 this morning, had a call from this number.. 012******** (which is, apparently a landline operated by Virgin Media) with a foreign male wanting to talk about out telephone security. Asked who he was from, he replied 'telephone security'. and he wanted to discuss our phone security.

Possible scam, so I  told him he was making an unsolicited call, and was going to report him. He then hung up immediately..

Not sure if this is really a scam, or some 'new' VM attempt to get customers to purchase something ??

[MOD EDIT: Number removed]

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@HughJarsse wrote:

Not sure if this is really a scam, or some 'new' VM attempt to get customers to purchase something ??

Certainly sounds like a scam. Could well have been trying to sell you some non existent service or device to block scam calls. 🙄

By the way, you cannot rely on the number that appears in Caller Display to authenticate the caller. That number can easily be spoofed and scammers always do that.

So you may well have posted the phone number of a completely innocent VM, or ex VM, customer. I would suggest editing your post to remove it.

If it was a scammer they will soon move on to using a different number.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post @HughJarsse, and I'm sorry to hear of the recent call made to you.

As @coenoby advises, this has the hallmarks of a classic scam call and is likely the case of one of our phone numbers being spoofed - which is common practice amongst scammers.

Do feel free to take a look at our handy literature to assist you further

Thanks,

David_Bn