Menu
ClaireBear55555
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

phone hacked?

I recieved a number of phone calls yesterday and upon answering the person hung up within 2 seconds. The numbers were 07904 6335xx... 077849302xx.. 07783 5953xx...07935 3778xx..07947 2155xx...07488 5586xx...075952652xx.

I called one of the numbers back and a strange lady answered the phone in an unfriendly manner and told me she didnt ring me then hung up. I then had a conversation with my brother about moonpig and ordering canvas pictures of the kids, nothing else sinister occured until 9pm.

Later in the evening around 9pm my phone started sending me messages, i looked at my phone after a few minutes to discover messages from moonpig saying order confirmation for multiple purchases of yankee candle sets costing 12.99. there were 30 purchases made using my saved bank card details. I checked my bank and moonpig was deducting over 400 pounds from my bank account. I then contacting the fraud team at my bank to cancel cards and sort out the fraud. 

I have spent hours into the early morning deleting my passwords from google and microsoft and my phone. I've also removed all my card details. 

Is my phone still compromised? How can I check my phone and remove the person who has access to it please?

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: phone hacked?

The calls cut off because you are being called by an automated dialler. This is a method scammers use mainly to see if the number being called has a real person at the end of it.

Ignore the numbers you are seeing on caller display. As you have found out already, these numbers are cloned from genuine users in the UK by the scammers, who are using voice over internet services from call centres in India.

As for the fraud that is going on, this may be unrelated to these calls, unless you have followed any scammers instructions & downloaded something onto your phone.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ClaireBear55555 wrote:

Is my phone still compromised? How can I check my phone and remove the person who has access to it please?

I would agree with VIP @nodrogd that the Moonpig scam is unlikely to be related to those calls, especially so if you never actually got to talk to anyone on any  of those calls. The lady you spoke to was not connected to the scam in anyway and may well have been unfriendly because she is thoroughly fed up with people phoning her about them.

If you have a Virgin Media email account, especially if it is linked with your Moonpig account, I would strongly suggest that you follow all the advice in this VM helpsheet: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

It is far more likely that the Moonpig scam has arisen by someone hacking your email account and gaining access to your Moonpig account than somehow managing to compromise your phone. It is something that often comes up on the Email board of this forum.

Sorry to give you something-else to worry about but better safe that sorry.😉

I hope you get it all sorted soon.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ClaireBear55555 wrote:

<snip>

Later in the evening around 9pm my phone started sending me messages, i looked at my phone after a few minutes to discover messages from moonpig saying order confirmation for multiple purchases of yankee candle sets costing 12.99. there were 30 purchases made using my saved bank card details. I checked my bank and moonpig was deducting over 400 pounds from my bank account. I then contacting the fraud team at my bank to cancel cards and sort out the fraud. 

<snip>

Moonpig appeared in the news last summer, with customers describing a very similar story to this as a result of a credential-stuffing fraud against them. I would agree with @nodrogd and @coenoby that your description sounds more like the result of a phishing or credential-stuffing type of fraud.

Was your Moonpig password a secure/complex one and unique only to the Moonpig site?

Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello @ClaireBear55555.

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry that you have been getting this scamming calls, they are not nice to deal with.

Please click here on how to report this - 'Fraud

Also, blocking the numbers will help but I know that they do change the number sometimes.

You can also report this to the police by clicking here

I hope this helps.

Many thanks.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

ClaireBear55555
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Nodrod,
I do usually ignore and then block all of these calls. I don't open any spam mail. I don't play games or download any kind of unsavoury sites or apps. I'm a basic internet user, facebook instagram, you tube netflix , internet banking and my hotmail account is about all I use. so heartbreaking to have this happen especially since I consider myself a normal and quite safe internet user, obviously I was wrong...