Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

media.virgin-contact.com

Hi, I've received a message today asking me to contact media.virgin-contact.com.

It states that Virgin has failed to pre-authorise my monthly direct debit and to contact them and update details so as to avoid any late fees.

I was debited the correct amounts by Virgin a week or so ago. My account shows that I am within my data limits, my minutes limits and my text limits, so this sounds like a probable scam.

Any thoughts anyone. Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: media.virgin-contact.com

It is a scam/phishing attempt from a miscreant.  Delete the message and ignore.

As soon as the @Int-Sec  security team be come aware of scam emails they update the Latest Phishing News thread in this security forum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaveinLeeds,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry you've received this email. Can you please forward it to phishing@virginmedia.com?

If you then receive a ‘Spam Content Found’ message from us, then we’re already aware of the email and have taken steps to ensure it is blocked on our Virgin Media Mail platform.

Thanks

Melissa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your reply (and also that of Graham).

I probably didn't make it clear, but it was actually a text I received on my mobile, rather than an email.

Please let me know if you need me to take any further action.

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@DaveinLeeds wrote:

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your reply (and also that of Graham).

I probably didn't make it clear, but it was actually a text I received on my mobile, rather than an email.

Please let me know if you need me to take any further action.

Dave

Thanks for the clarification.  Scammers use text messages as well as emails.  The reporting method that Mellisa mentioned only covers emails, unfortunately, as does this Security forum's regular internet security posts.

Most mobile providers/messaging apps now have spam reporting processes in place.  At the most basic level forwarding the message to 7726 (spam) should report it.

No further action required in this case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello again Graham and Melissa,

Another text received today from 447944688113. It reads "Virgin Final Notice. Your direct debit has failed. Please setup your direct debit within 24 hours via https://VirginMediaDirectDebitRenewal.com"

My latest debits were charged to my account 17th August without a problem and I would expect the next to go through on or around 17th September, so I'm presuming this is another scammer trying to get me.

Please let me know if I need to take any action.

Dave

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Scam. Do nothing. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos