Menu
patthecat
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

mDNS vulnarability

I had a letter a few days ago warning that I had a device with a potential mDNS vulnerability.

I followed the instructions online, I have no port forwarding so nothing to remove.

I followed the recommendation on the forum from Ravenstar, add port forwarding for port 5353 to a duff IP address. Sorted.

Then my wife took an automated call earlier today from VM saying that broadband would be cut off in 4 hours if we did not resolve.

I came home, phoned 150, spoke to Julius, nice chap, gave me a number for Gadget Rescue, 08081687910.

1. phoned them, spoke to someone , explained, was put through to Sirus (?).

He couldn't identify my account details and after several attempts to do so cut me off.

2. phoned again, spoke to someone , explained, was put through to another bod.

He said I was paranoid after one phone call, then cut me off.

3. phoned again, spoke to someone , explained, was put through (after 20 minutes on hold) to someone else in Broadband (now we're getting somewhere) quite helpful but I don't think grasped the issue. Said she was sending me a super email with FSECURE. I said isn't that a firewall sort of product? this seems more like a networking issue. 

(I've traced internally and even my wifes iPhone is doing mDNS to 214.0.0.251)

at this point she cut me off. 

Now apart from the Network issues, I see a recurring theme in customer service here where if they feel free to just drop any call if they don't feel like carrying on with the conversation.

I've had about enough of this, it's ok while it's working but god help you when you need to communicate with them. time to kick virgin into touch, it's Gamma Broadband for me

Pat

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: mDNS vulnarability

@patthecat wrote:

Then my wife took an automated call earlier today from VM saying that broadband would be cut off in 4 hours if we did not resolve.

Did the person you spoke with on 150 authenticate the earlier automated call because that sounds like a scam call?

BTW by forwarding mDNS queries to an unassigned IP Address on your network you have negated the threat.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
patthecat
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, did anyone I spoke to during the 90 minutes or so i was trying to get an answer authenticate the earlier call, no.

Are you saying that it was a scam call? Coincidentaly after I have received a letter on the subject from virgin media. Thats some coincidence,

. What does that imply? That it was an inside job to scam me? Or vm trying to scare me?

If I get cut off I'll take my business elsewhwere but I'm more concerned about the contempt that virgin media show for their customers to just cut calls and leave them in the lurch.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@patthecat wrote:

Hi, did anyone I spoke to during the 90 minutes or so i was trying to get an answer authenticate the earlier call, no.

Are you saying that it was a scam call? Coincidentaly after I have received a letter on the subject from virgin media. Thats some coincidence,

Yes I am because: (a) it was a robocaller; (b) miscrent's tactic of “urgency or dire consequence”

What does that imply? That it was an inside job to scam me? Or vm trying to scare me?

Anything beyond some miscreant trying to scam you would be conjecture.

If I get cut off I'll take my business elsewhwere but I'm more concerned about the contempt that virgin media show for their customers to just cut calls and leave them in the lurch.

You are right and that behaviour needs to be bought to Virgin Media's attention. Either:

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi patthecat,

Thank you for your post and thank you 用心棒 for your help on this.

I am sorry to hear this has happened to you. I can confirm that we would never call a customer to say their broadband would be cut off, we would call when a payment is not made to inform it may disrupt services. I also am confused as to why you were passed to gadget rescue as this is a 3rd party service that we would put you through if you are having issues with your printer or tablets etc. I will be more than happy to look into this and to determine what has happened. I will pop you over a private message asking for some details from you, just keep an eye out for the purple envelope 🙂

Many thanks,

Zoie_P

patthecat
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zoie_P, I look forward to your letter.

BR

Pat

0 Kudos