Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i block youtube

matt_jd
Tuning in

Hi

I've added youtube.com as a blocked site via:

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/onlinesecurity/websafe/settings

but my 10 year old Son is still able to access its content. Not sure if its because its accessed via https but blocking this site doesn't seem to work. It works for other sites. Relying on youtubes settings isn't really an option as he'll change those if they are preventing him from seeing any content. He's very tech-savvy.

Ideally we'd be able to block sites like this for specific times of day?

Any help would be much appreciated.

26 REPLIES 26

Thompsj75
Joining in

I think it’s pretty bad on Virgins behalf that they do not easily allow you to block YouTube, even YouTube’s settings are as effective as a chocolate teapot, my 10yo knows he can just sign out of my account to watch the videos he wants.  I’m so sick of him waking up at 5am and sneaking downstairs to watch crap.  I’ve even tried a timer switch for the WiFi router but he knows how to turn it back on. 😡

+1 for using my favourite chocolate teapot phrase...

It kinda makes mine wonder why virgin won't block YouTube. 

I really need a solution where I can turn it on or off remotely. I guess a last roll of the dice will be trying to block it on the router. 

What device is this on? TiVo / PC / tablet?

I've been searching around on it and apparently Google pay Virgin an advertising fee to keep YouTube on as a mandatory app with no ability to apply any blocks, PIN locks or any effective content restriction at all (YouTube categories do NOT count!!)... not sure who I'm more disgusted at Virgin/Google, I'm only paying one of them to provide TV into my home.

Happy to be contradicted on this, if anybody else knows why Virgin are blocking us from applying standard TiVo controls to YouTube?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any tech savvy child will find a way around any blocks you put in place.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

There are no ISP level blocks that will matter, changing the DNS settings on the device will entirely bypass anything you set in the websafe/childsafe, if you want proper blocking you would have to invest in a 3rd party router that supports it, but at the end of the day there will always be ways around even things like that

Why exactly are you trying to block youtube and why is it you think it should be down to VM instead of you just talking to your child?

It's to block YouTube from all devices, TiVo, laptop, mobiles....

Virgin provide the ability to block website's as part of their service. YouTube is a website, irrespective of how many ip addresses it has. If the system says you can block websites,  it should do what it says.

Yeah its never really worked properly, and like i said, literally a single setting to bypass the block, all you do is change the devices DNS servers to google's or any of the normal public DNS servers that don't belong to VM and the setting will be entirely bypassed, so even IF the feature did work 100% it would still take all of 30 seconds to bypass

@matt_jd wrote:

Virgin provide the ability to block website's as part of their service. YouTube is a website, irrespective of how many ip addresses it has. If the system says you can block websites,  it should do what it says.

The system only applies to people using VM's DNS servers though, so even IF the system worked 100% of the time you could easily bypass Childsafe/Websafe with 30 seconds of work by changing your devices DNS servers to use something like googles DNS or any of the other freely available DNS servers

So even working at 100% its easy to get around